Detaching spotlights from wiring clip

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Jan 24, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

I am levelling and re boarding my ceiling and so have to reorganise the spotlights layout so everything is nice and aligned in a grid...6 spotlights in total.

The wiring for one spotlight in the corner is short by about 2 inches, but if I detach the spotlight from the metal clip like in images there is enough flex and can position where I want it.

I'm not clued up when it comes to electrical so
    question is does it have to be attached to this metal clip for some reason or can I detach?

Other option is get an electrican in to extend that bit of wire cable but that would be costly compared to this simple possible solution...

Attached Files:

Howard Hindle likes this.
  2. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Detaching it disconnects the earth continuity . You should just extend the wiring ,or re consider the position by a few inches.

4. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Oh right. Had a feeling it was for something like that. I would be swapping out the spotlight bezel for one with another finish anyway so what if I leave this chrome bezel inside the ceiling with the clip attached...would that be okay?

5. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

6. Philip Hyde

The cables are not safe as they are anyway. There should be a lid on the terminal block box not just tape wrapped round it.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You can extend the cable yourself. All you need is a short length of cable and a junction box .

8. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Electrician who installed all of this wiring is highly qualified with many years experience and very high 100% feedback on My Builder where I contacted him . He takes on contracts for buildings not just small domestic jobs. I'm sure he wouldn't do a dodgy job. Everyone has their own opinion and way of doing things.

9. Philip Hyde

Is there a Cover clipped over the live and neutral terminals???. If yes I apologise.
    If no and they are covered by Tape(which is how it looks) I stand by my first comments

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I suspect it's the former Philip ,and the connector block with CPC is outside .
    Hard to tell for sure.

11. Philip Hyde

This is how it should look.

Attached Files:

12. Philip Hyde

Just dosent look there is a cover on it. Hence the white cables are not into the cut outs.

Attached Files:

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Does look like the lid is missing on that close up.

14. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

I'm not too sure. Like I said not too clued up on electrics and I used some spotlights which I had lying around (though were new and boxed). Agreed these are not fire rated like the more expensive covered ones but my electrician said its okay at time of installing. Here is a closer pic of another installed spotlight...

Attached Files:

15. Philip Hyde

Yeah that one has the cover on it.(red arrow) The other one dosent have that bit on it

Attached Files:

16. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Okay so I've found giving that metal earth clip a bend but still slotted into the spotlight bezel is just about good enough to position the spotlight where I need.

I guess there is no harm in bending the metal clip as long as its still firmly attached to the spotlight right...

17. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Oh right I understand now. Well here is another close up of that same one and red angle show the slight bend I have made in the earth clip to reach my position in ceiling without extending cable. I assume this is okay...

Attached Files:

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Very odd looking ,there appears to be an additional terminal block sat on top of the earth terminal block ,wrapped in black tape . And the cover ,although in place ,appears to be askew ,at an angle quite an odd set up.

19. Philip Hyde

Can I ask how you plan to get the lights through the ceiling?? As I see it your going to have to disconnect them all anyway? So may as well just extended them. With the clip like that it will be difficult to fit the light anyway.

20. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Sorry to be a bit negative, but you have cheap fittings poorly installed. I see loads of this sort of stuff doing EICRs (Electrical Installation Condition Reports) for landlords. Many installers of downlights think it is ok just to connect it up, wrap a bit of tape around it and stuff it in the ceiling. The regulations are clear that the outer sheath of a cable should be taken into the enclosure.

Treat yourself to some descent fire/sound rated downlights and fit them correctly.

Good luck with your project

Philip Hyde likes this.