Sink pop up plug leaking

Discussion in 'Screwfix Live' started by AngieT, Jan 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. AngieT

AngieT New Member

Partner has today fitted a new pop up plug in a bathroom sink.
    When the plug is closed - no leak but once it’s opened to let the water away, it leaks.
    The leak seems to have something to do with the overflow holes?!?
    Can anyone advise where we’re going wrong please?

2. John the plumber31

John the plumber31 Active Member

Without stating the obvious and hope this isn’t a wind up but the purpose of a plug in a sink is to stop water.
    What lead you to believe the leak has something to do with the overflow holes as you put it?

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Showing pics of where the water escapes would be useful

4. AngieT

AngieT New Member

Hi John,
    Many thanks for replying
    No it’s not a wind up but I maybe didn’t word the question very well.
    Neither my partner or I have much experience with plumbing.
    It is a pedestal sink and this seems to be causing most of the issues.
    At first my partner felt the leak was coming from the overflow holes in the new plug waste however he says he now feels it is from not being able to tighten up the nut properly due to lack of access. Is there a special tool that can be used as there isn’t enough room to get a wrench in. Or do we have to take the sink off to gain access?
    Angie

5. AngieT

AngieT New Member

Hi Terry,
    Many thanks for replying
    Neither my partner or I have much experience with plumbing.
    It is a pedestal sink and this seems to be causing most of the issues.
    At first my partner felt the leak was coming from the overflow holes in the new plug waste however he says he now feels it is from not being able to tighten up the nut properly due to lack of access. Is there a special tool that can be used as there isn’t enough room to get a wrench in. Or do we have to take the sink off to gain access?
    Angie

6. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Are you sure, that you are not missing the main seal between the big nut & the overflow waste??
    I've had this a few times before.

Post up a couple of pictures, so we can be sure.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Unless one knows EXACTLY where leak is ,how can we advise you what to do to stop it,just be shooting in the dark.
    What I would say is this ...If the waste fitting has been removed and a new one fitted ,whilst the basin is sat on the pedestal
    " In situ" so to speak ,that's quite difficult to do for a diy'er ,as the nuts below the sink ,on waste and trap are quite inaccessible . Very often it's easier and quicker to remove the basin.

8. AngieT

AngieT New Member

My elderly mum lives with us and this sink is in her ensuite.
    I’m unable to take a photo now as she has gone to sleep but I will tomorrow.
    Thanks for your patience.

9. AngieT

AngieT New Member

My elderly mum lives with us and this sink is in her ensuite.
    I’m unable to take a photo now as she has gone to sleep but I will tomorrow.
    Thanks for your patience.

terrymac likes this.
  10. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I was also confused by the description initially but pretty sure you mean the little slotted holes in the side of the fitting, under the pop-up which would make sense if it’s leaking when the pop-up is up.

Sounds like you either have the rubber seal(s) not in place, or not in the right place (not easy to achieve but haven’t seen what you’ve fitted), or you’ve over-tightened and twisted the seal(s).

Shouldn’t need any additional sealing but the failsafe would be a smear of clear silicone between each layer of the fitting above and below the basin. Assuming the fitting isn’t faulty in some way this will solve it.

Try it without first as the silicone will also make it slippery when installing and therefore even easier to twist the seals.

11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Popup wastes are notorious for leaking past the threads on the large nut underneath. This is because due to the design water can access the external thread, unlike conventional wastes, and then wick down through the threads and then drip. With the supplied flat rubber washer you are relying on the pressure of the nut pressing the rubber laterally into the thread bottom, which often doesn't happen. Some come with a jelly washer which work better.

Smear of sealant around the thread before fitting the nut will sort it.

12. AngieT

AngieT New Member

Many thanks for your reply as I said neither of us have a clue but I’m better at typing. He’s at work this weekend but I’ll pass on your advice.
    Angie

Truckcab79 likes this.
  13. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

AngieT
    As per my earlier post

"You are missing the main seal between the big nut & the overflow waste??
    I've had this a few times before". Not supplied with pop up waste.

You will need the JELLY SEAL, this is what is missing.
    The jelly seal sits under the large stiff rubber seal & then the big plastic nut. In the picture, you require the WHITE SEAL, that sits on the Brass coloured Nut. (some of those seals are different colours)

[​IMG]