Best satinwood?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Nov 13, 2020.

1. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Thanks Astra. Glad you are still here.
    And assume that the crown stuff is non yellowing over several years ?
    jimmy

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Fast Flow is white not brilliant white so a softer white rather than a harsh white, as with all paint it will age over time, it does not yellow and remains my go to paint for interior woodwork.

jimbobby likes this.
  3. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Astra, the only prob I have when using crown is that it dry's too quickly.
    I'm now out of white satin wood & looking for something a little better as I have a job 9 doors & frames.
    last time I used Leyland I wasn't impressed at all.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

With the doors, depending on their design, if they’re flat or with mouldings, glass panels, etc, use a 4” roller, foam or mohair to get the paint on quick where it’s practical with a roller, working in sections and then immediately flatten off with a quality synthetic brush

Frames and architrave just use a suitable size brush - 21/2 / 3”

Also try very lightly dampening surface with clean water before painting (sounds weird yes) light wipe over with damp cloth or plant sprayer - not soaking the surface, just real light to moisten

I also tried the Leyland some years ago and was like painting with jelly. They’ve probably reformulated the paint by now, as most manufacturers have with their water based ranges - several times more than likely

I’ve tried several brands but like the Crown Fastflow, it ‘almost’ behaves like an oil based paint ........ almost !

masterdiy likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Add a retarder such as Floetrol, get the one for waterbase paint though. Floetrol is not the same as the handful of retards that often post on this forum as they remain constantly wet.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    jimbobby and why me? like this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha good one Astra :)

Just thought you may be busy or having a nap so I put my tuppence worth in (as per usual)

Didn’t even notice question was aimed directly at you !

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@Astramax
    I alway thought you shouldn't put floetrol with alkyd paints like fastflow. People do though. Just asking?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sorry Penetrol not floetrol.:oops:....but as you say..people do! Unsurprisingly as like paint way too much choice.:confused:
    You expect too much from a retarded decorater......is that the correct spelling for retired.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Wayners likes this.