Guttering Down pipe leads to no where

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Michael JCS, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Michael JCS

Michael JCS New Member

A5EBF1E3-F59D-4678-A27F-26B5C19F3148.jpeg A3EEFCF4-8619-4B3B-9DD5-C5E110448E6F.jpeg Hi, just looking for some advice really as I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to things like this.
    I have recently moved in to a property where the Down pipe at the rear of the house stops half way down the wall and the rain water just pours over the house. There is no existing drain underneath to connect to. Bare in mind, this downpipe collects all the water which hits the rear of the roof so it is quite a lot of water. I have been temporarily collecting the water in a bucket and emptying every time it rains but I am in need of a more permanent solution to keep the water away from the house. I have considered a water butt but I will be in a similar position but just have a larger container to empty. As you can see from the pics it has already caused some damage to the wall. Any tips would be appreciated. Cheers

2. warcs

warcs Member

That is the standard way a lot of conservatory manufacturers deal with the roof drainage, you need to pipe it to the nearest drain. Is there a downpipe near which is connected to the drains?

3. Michael JCS

Michael JCS New Member

Thanks for your reply. There is a downpipe which feeds into a drain at the front of the house. It might be possible to pipe to this drain but won’t be easy due to side gate being in the way

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

as a temporary measure just extend the downpipe into the garden so it is away from the house. a more permenant solution is to reinstate the drainage that was there. any clues? where are the pipes for the neighbours? you may have an old drain somewhere nearer to join in

5. Rich Venner

Rich Venner New Member

another suggestion would be to install a soakaway in your garden, needs to be clear of the house (cant remember how far away but should be easy to find out) but quite easy to do if there you haven't got too much concrete down.

Jord86 likes this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Minimum 5m.

7. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

As a temporary solution either extend drain somewhere away from house or if you have a water butt use that and attach a hose pipe to bottom tap and leave tap open, extend hose well away from house, advantage of this is the hose can be moved about around the garden. All only temporary of course until you can find a permanent solution.

8. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

mans that assumes a soak away works which it doesn’t where I live