Gap between floor and kitchen panels/skirting board

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Mark1979!, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Mark1979!

Mark1979! New Member

Hi.

I am looking to have to put down a new floor in my kitchen. At the moment there is a 14mm engineered wood floor and some underlay down (I assume 3mm). Wanting to put something new down. But don’t want a gap between my new floor and the skirting board and the kitchen panels and kick boards.

I could do a simple rip and replace (14mm engineered with 3mm underlay) or would I have the option to put down a 5mm gold underlay with a 12mm laminate? (This would make up to 17mm) Could this work? Would the underlay compress and lose thickness and therefore create a gap again?

Thanks

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

How are you expecting to lay the flooring underneath the skirting? You'll have to remove it and refit/replace, or keep it and cover the gap with beading

3. Mark1979!

Mark1979! New Member

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The existing skirting meets the existing engineered wood floor. Essentially the floor is under the skirting.

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Yes, so in order to do the same again, the skirting has to be removed

koolpc likes this.
  5. Mark1979!

Mark1979! New Member

So the engineered wood can’t be removed from under the skirting boards? Where the skirting boards are attached to the walls?

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

It's more the laying of the new floor that will be an issue. How are you going to fit the floor under the skirting on different sides of the room?

7. Mark1979!

Mark1979! New Member

Well I am fitting in the kitchen. So the existing floor only goes under 2 out of the 4 walls skirting boards. The floor just goes under the kitchen cabinets. Can it not just slide underneath?

8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

If it's only 2 sides where there's skirting, it might work. However no floor is perfectly flat, so you might have some areas where it's a tight squeeze trying to slide it under the skirting, or some places where the gap is bigger.
    Personally I'd consider removing skirting, it's not a big deal and makes for a better finish. But you need to do what works best for you and within your capabilities

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

... Just re-read and you said your considering laminate flooring? Then your plan probably won't work, as you won't be raise and then click the flooring into place and slides the ends under skirting at the same time

whatsthenews likes this.