Power to garden shed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by AndyJam3, Feb 20, 2021.

1. AndyJam3

AndyJam3 New Member

Hi,
    I want to add power to my shed. Shed is 9m away from the socket in the house.

(1) If I run 2.5mm armoured cable from an existing double socket in the house to an RCD double socket in the shed, can I then run cables from the shed double socket to a light switch for a 4ft LED strip light?

(2) Can I run other sockets from the shed double socket?

(3) Would I have enough power to run a 2kw oil filled radiator connected to a 7 day timer?

(4) Can I also connect up the 7 day timer in the shed via the double socket?. The timer needs to be connected direct by cable as it does not have a plug attached to it. Wire connects through the front of the timer.

Cheers
    Andy

2. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Not unless you go thru BC and pay their fees for inspection.
    Part P came in 1 jan 2005...does not seem to be working does it ?
    It's illegal and will invalidate your house insurance.
    You are not a 'competent person'.
    Anything else you need to know ?
    J

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's not a 'new circuit' Jim so it isn't notifiable. (but he does need some help from someone who is competent!)

4. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Cant see where he says there is an existing cable?
    Plus it needs to be like for like AFAIAA, unless the rules have changed ?
    JIm

5. AndyJam3

AndyJam3 New Member

The double socket in the house is an existing socket.
    Can I run a cable from the existing double socket in the house to a double socket in the shed? The socket in the shed will be the new socket.

6. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

If it's a new circuit, my answer above applies.
    jim

7. AndyJam3

AndyJam3 New Member

ok cheers Jim.

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

How far is the shed from the socket? How will you be running the cable: surface clipped or buried? How loaded is the existing ring that you want to take the shed feed from?

9. Nomenklatura

Nomenklatura Active Member

Well it's not.

Do you really think that every time some new cable is connected to some existing, that creates a new circuit?

"Like for like" has never been a requirement.

10. Nomenklatura

Nomenklatura Active Member

But this is right on both counts:

11. AndyJam3

AndyJam3 New Member

Teki, shed is 9m away from socket. Cable will be buried and it will be armoured 2.5mm. The socket it's going from in the house is a double socket and only gets used for a laptop and a printer.

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Unless in Wales, where outside work is still notifiable, new circuit or not.

Andy, please make sure the armour is earthed correctly.

13. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

1. If the existing house double socket is RCD protected you don't need a second RCD in the shed. You can only have one double socket in the shed (no spur to a light) unless you take the feed from the house via an FCU.
    2. No, see above).
    3. Yes just about.
    4. No, as 2 above.

14. AndyJam3

AndyJam3 New Member

Bazza-spark, it will be earthed properly.

15. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Can I suggest you fit a double pole switch in the house to supply the shed. This way you can quickly isolate the shed should you get problems.

16. AndyJam3

AndyJam3 New Member

Banallsheds, ok 2 & 4 is a no no. So once the shed double socket ( shed socket is the one with built in RCD) is connected, are you saying I can run a cable off that socket to an FCU to light switch to led strip light?

Socket > FCU > light switch > led strip light.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  17. AndyJam3

AndyJam3 New Member

Comlec, have thought of this as a way to quickly shut the power off. Cheers

18. Banallsheds

No. The shed socket as it is is a spur. You cannot spur off a spur. The FCU needs to be in the house on the cable feeding the shed.

19. AndyJam3

AndyJam3 New Member

Banallsheds, ok I get that. Is there another way? What if the cable to the shed goes to an MCB in the shed. Can I then run the socket and light from the MCB?

20. Banallsheds

Just put a FCU in the house.