Power to garden shed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by AndyJam3, Feb 20, 2021.

1. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

So, what happened to the 3m max rule for a spur as defined in 17th edsition ?
    Is it still in the new regs ?
    With a 2kw load is is unbalancing the ring ?
    jimmy

2. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

All rings are unbalanced to a certain extent.

3. Nomenklatura

Nomenklatura Active Member

Informative, not normative.

4. Nomenklatura

I never suggested you did. It's possible to be wrong without knowing it - surely you realise that?

Although your repeated inability to find any proof of your assertion ought to give you pause for thought, and ought,in an intelligent person, to eventually create doubt about your correctness.

Right.

If you are not making it up, then prove it.

5. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

61D89C93-A030-4F31-BAFC-81002965650C.jpeg

Bazza-spark likes this.
  6. Nomenklatura

Andy - I'm afraid you are being ill-served here.

What Banallsheds is telling you is simply untrue.

Why he thinks it is true, I have no idea, but please take note of the fact that he cannot provide any proof of his claim.

You would think, wouldn't you, that if he was right, if what you propose is not allowed, it would be a very simple matter for him to quote the regulation(s) which show that he is right, and it's not allowed. There's a reason why he hasn't done that.

Also, note that nobody else has been able to provide proof of his claim either. The Appendix 15 referred to by sparky steve is classified as "informative", not "normative". That means it provides information, and does not create any rules. In this case it contains examples of arrangements which comply with the regulations, but that of course does not preclude doing something not shown as an example but which does not break any rules. You might also be guided by the fact that when I pointed that out to him the best he could come up with was sarcasm.

"Socket > FCU > light switch > led strip light" will be fine - ignore anybody who tells you otherwise unless they can cite proof that it will not be.

7. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

8. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Any better and further particulars regarding the 3 metre rule for spurs ?
    ?:)

jim

9. Banallsheds

No it is not, because the socket is a spur, and a spur from a spur is not allowed.

10. Nomenklatura

You are wrong. You are giving false information, incorrect advice.

I think the fair and reasonable thing for you to do is to stop making claims which you cannot prove, and for the OP to take no notice of them unless you can prove them.

It's quite simple - if you are right then there will either be a regulation which explicitly forbids it or regulation(s) which it contravenes in some way.

Therefore, if you are right, it will be quite simple for you to quote the relevant regulation(s). If you are wrong then you will not be able to quote it/them.

Quote the regulation(s) or stop telling people things which are untrue.

Since nobody, surely, would deliberately not quote a regulation if they could, failure on your part to do so can only be proof that you are wrong. There must reasonably come a point where repeatedly claiming something that any intelligent person must have come to realise is untrue becomes knowingly uttering falsehoods.

At the moment you are simply wrong. Please realise that, no matter how much you may dislike it, you must accept the evidence. Please do not persist to the point where your behaviour becomes worse than simply being wrong.

Basic rules of behaviour, really.

11. Banallsheds

I am NOT wrong. Everyone on here (except you) knows you cannot spur of a spur. Stop telling people you can. Look up the reg yourself.

12. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

13. Nomenklatura

You are wrong,and heading rapidly towards being someoe who is knowingly telling untruths.

Nowhere do the regulations forbid "spurs on spurs", so I cannot look up the regulation which does. It doesn't exist. You believe that it does, so you ought to be able to quote the regulation on which you are relying.

Why won't you do that, I wonder? Is it that you can't quote it because it doesn't exist?

If you are not prepared to quote a regulation which explicity forbids it, do you think that you could instead quote any which disallow it because doing it would generate a non-compliance in some way?

Because right now the situation is that someone has come here for advice, you are telling him that he cannot do what he asked about, and yet you are unable to produce an iota of evidence which shows that your advice is sound. When pressed you just double down on your falsehood and tell me to look up a non-existent regulation.

As for "everyone on here (except you) knows you cannot spur of a spur", it is of course open to "everyone on here" to either quote a regulation which forbids what the OP wants to do, or any which it contravenes in any other way.

Your behaviour is unacceptable, and hopefully the OP will have the sense to deduce from your failure to prove the veracity of your advice that you are wrong, that there can be no other explanation for your failure other than being wrong, and that your advice should be disregarded.

14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

He can't because he doesn't have a copy to look up or quote from.

15. Nomenklatura

Seriously? :eek:

Where does he get off telling people what the regulations do or do not say, then?

16. Bazza-spark

That is why he tells you to "look it up for yourself."

17. Nomenklatura

Has he worked out yet that that approach comes unstuck when he tells people to look something up which doesn't exist?

18. Bazza-spark

He will go boil his head and sulk, then come back and start again.

You will soon get his measure,

19. Nomenklatura

Oh well.

At least the Andy should no longer be in any doubt about what do do with advice from someone who makes it up.

20. Banallsheds

How many more times. I AM NOT WRONG. A spur off a spur is not allowed.
    A spur can only contain either one socket (single or double) or one FCU.