Boarded loft room power

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jamez, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Jamez

Jamez New Member

hi all,
    A mate of mine wants to put some power and lights into his loft. I thought the best way to do this was use the (redundant), immersion heater spur (15amp), and maybe replace the fused switch with a small garage consumer unit and run sockets and lights out of this. Would that work?
    Cheers and here's hoping I don't get too slated.
    James.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

If it is an old style 15A wired fuse rather than a breaker, then yes you could install a small garage CU which would also provide RCD protection. Make sure the MCBs are rated below 15A. B10 and B6 for sockets and lighting respectively.

3. Jamez

Jamez New Member

Perfect. thanks for that.

4. Nomenklatura

Nomenklatura Active Member

Not essential.

Selectivity is only required when there are safety concerns.

Jamez likes this.
  5. Jamez

Jamez New Member

is that because of the RCD?

6. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

A CU seems unnecessary to me. Lights can be run off the existing upstairs lighting circuit taking a feed from one of the ceiling roses. The old 15 amp immersion supply can feed 13 amp sockets directly as a radial.

7. JoeN007

JoeN007 New Member

For the lighting you could use this brilliant solution for the wiring? you can use this to loop off the existing lighting circuit
    Quickwire.co.uk

8. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

Amazingly, I have to agree in part!
    A switched fused spur could be used as a light switch off the radial.
    It does still leave the issue of rcd protection hanging though. In essence it is a new circuit.

9. Jamez

Jamez New Member

thanks all. i put in a little CU today for him. it's a slow project - and he's very very slow! Cheers all

Teki likes this.
  10. Jamez

Jamez New Member

the thing is, the lighting circuit is a old as the house and there is not earth on that loop. he don't wanna rewire the lot. what can one do?!

11. Nomenklatura

No it was because of the comment on the sizes of the MCBs.

12. Banallsheds

So you didn't take any notice of the advice that it was unnecessary. Why do you come on here for advice if you ignore it?

13. Nomenklatura

Maybe what he did was to take no notice of advice which didn't take account of the lack of an RCD on the old circuits and no earth on the lighting one.

14. Banallsheds

He never actually said there was no RCD. But anyway he could use a stand alone RCD, no need for a CU.