New plaster - mist, then farrow and ball

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Steven Garner, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Steven Garner

Steven Garner Member

Hi All,

I assume one that has been asked a lot, not thought I’d put out here for latest advice.

I have a large bedroom, newly skimmed. Work was finished a week ago and it’s nicely ‘dry’ so am starting to paint.

Final coats with be F and B ‘inchyra blue and some ‘calamine’ estate emulsion.

I need to mist coat/seal the skim first.I have purchased Leyland contract Matt white, which I assume and read is non vinyl, and plan to dilute down to 20% water (it’s says on the tin 10% but I read that more is ok)

Is this a sensible and correct approach? Assume using FB for mist isn’t right as it’s v expensive. Has anyone mist using Leyland contract??? Thanks!

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

No.. Don't F&B sell a primer thats similar or the same as an acrylic primer? Look at the online data sheet for the F&B and follow. I would not use the contract matt

3. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Yes, they do a Wall and Ceiling primer

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've used tinted acrylic primer for trade centre fine as F&B ***** you with the cost but those that are happy to pay your better sticking to the correct priming product.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Why not use the contract matt?

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Because contract matt is the most over misused product. It should only be used if you want surfaces to dry out over the coming months. It is not a primer nor a sealer nor recommend to use to prime plaster. Use that and the F&B will be patchy and not settle and may even react to the chalky dry surface

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Personally I've always just watered down cheap emulsion as a mist coat...

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Ok, i see. Ta

Wayners likes this.
  9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Well don't no more... o_O:)
    Read application data sheet for the top coat paint. It's all there telling you what to do.. You will get a better finish and know its going to be fine. They (technical) say... Just because people have always done it don't mean they should. Different paints about now vs 10 years ago and some you need to be carful what surfaces you apply to. Just can't pop lid and bang on