Fuse box issue

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Eddie2023, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Eddie2023

Eddie2023 New Member

First time user to this site. After a little advise please. I've noticed all plug sockets to the house and garage are on the same circuit/fuse. It's a 3 bed semi and never had any trips except occasionally from network power-cuts in over twenty years. The only person to touch this was an electrician who seems to have fallen off the planet since having a new fuse box installed a few years ago from the original 4 copper strand fuse type.
    Is there an easy way to find out if the circuits were set up in ring or radial...hope the terminology is correct.
    Just wondering if it's just an easy task for an electrician to sort out. I don't really want any upheaval of lifting floor or new plastered ceiling....
    Thanks in advance.....!

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

What's the rating of the circuit breaker for the sockets?

Normally it will be 32A for a ring, 16/20A for a radial

Eddie2023 likes this.
  3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It’s not unusual for a house to have only one socket circuit. What is the problem, or is it just curiosity?

Eddie2023 likes this.
  4. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

If it's causing you concern, then get a reputable / experienced Electrician to carry out an EICR Electrical Installation Condition Report for you. Might cost you a few hundred pounds but for peace of mind?

ElecCEng and Eddie2023 like this.
  5. Eddie2023

Eddie2023 New Member

It's a 32A so looks like it is a ring...? But I had another available 32A so wonder why at least upstairs and downstairs were not separated....?

6. Eddie2023

Eddie2023 New Member

Just curiosity....the way it was left we could have electrocuted ourselves thinking we had switched off the correct circuit. I've now adjusted the fuse box information by removing the upstairs card slip and inserted a "x" for the unused fuse and turned off using trip. The other i've taken out the card slip stating "downstairs" and replaced with "sockets".

7. Eddie2023

Eddie2023 New Member

I would have done this in the past....unfortunately I've been unlucky, not had good experiences with various trade people in the area (Canvey, Essex). Not really got a circle of friends for recommendations....!

8. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

You should electrocute yourself if you don’t dismantle an electrical installation you don’t understand or work in an appropriate manner.

Presumably the house was built with one socket circuit which was common practice and quite acceptable, then when the fuse board was replaced the electrician left a spare MCB in the new consumer unit for possible future additions, the labelling could have been more appropriate.

The existing socket circuit cannot just be made into two circuits without any upheaval, but it doesn’t sound like there’s any reason to alter it.

Maybe it would have been a good idea to get the electrical installation checked and any additions or upgrades completed before getting walls plastered.

Eddie2023 likes this.
  9. Eddie2023

Eddie2023 New Member

Thanks for reply...Sounds like there's no concern from various responses I've had on here. No additions or upgrades I'm afraid. Just more curious that the original 4 fuse box was divided up and down for both lights and sockets. But now the sockets are shared on one. To leave a spare fuse is a good idea and may be reason for this, it was done a number of years ago, and only just noticed, so guess standards are always changing. I've obviously got too much time on my hands during lockdown and guess it shouldn't cause an issue if I decide to move in the future...so initial panic over I think....
    Thanks everyone....!

10. The Happy Builder

Has the consumer unit got a RCD in it?

11. Eddie2023

Eddie2023 New Member

Not that I can see...!

12. The Happy Builder

Then it is time to upgrade or replace it.

13. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

I know I'm joining late but from what i can gather your old fuse board had upstairs and downstairs sockets and lights, you had it replaced 4 years ago and now you only have 1 socket circuit and no rcd protection, that's don't seem right 4 years ago I think twin rcd metal consumer units were being used.
    Put a photo on if you can.

Eddie2023 likes this.
  14. Eddie2023

Eddie2023 New Member

I think it was about 12 years ago when it was changed..I know I'm a bit slow on noticing...its a plastic Legrand unit...if that helps..
    Reluctant to upgrade as regulations will probably change again before I decide to move...

15. Ind spark

12 years ago I think it will be a split load with rcd protecting sockets etc

16. Eddie2023

Eddie2023 New Member

Assume it must have been to regs of the time. There has only been about 3 trips due to power cuts in the area in that time. Otherwise I have no issue with the house electrics. So think I will re-visit the situation if I move, or modernise.
    I realise it may not pass modern day specs at present, but there's only two of us at home, and we're not heavy users of electrical goods...

17. The Happy Builder

Perhaps you are being a bit flippant regards the safety of your family?

18. Ind spark

That's quite harsh he did have it replaced 12 years ago, maybe now is the time to get a condition report done.
    when I bought my house last year it had an old wylex 3036 consumer unit, when I took the cover off it was so neat and that had probably been there 40 years.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  19. The Happy Builder

The original poster is the person who questioned the safety of his own consumer unit, it appears to have gone from possibly being unsafe to being in extremely good condition in just a few posts on an internet discussion forum, despite apparently not having RCD protection at all and only being about twelve years old.

20. Ind spark

Yeah without seeing it who knows.