Vacuum cleaner cordless - recommendations

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Muzungu, Nov 27, 2019.

1. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

No, reasonable wear and tear is taken into account. Unfortunately brakes are a challenge as life is VERY dependant upon the driver. If you have had 17k out of them, unless you can find there have been lots of others complaining about the same issue I would doubt if you could get anything under CRA

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Brake discs are a dodgy thing. In the olden days discs would last almost the life of the car, just the pads were changed. These days discs get changed almost as often as the pads, on my 2002 Lexus the discs were changed everything other pad changed.

I'd say if the discs are lightly scored and braking is not affected, then no point changing them - best wait until the pads need changing and do both at once.

3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Well spotted, didn't see that. Comes with two batteries so that would (should) extend it a bit, hopefully, but even so at £50 or thereabouts per battery it is certainly something worth thinking about.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

My OH has been pestering me a bit to look at cordless hoovers (er Dysons actually), a few things put me off
    - they're expensive with less performance compared to mains appliances. I mean really quite expensive. £250 for a decent Dyson going up to £400 or £500!
    - the thing that's going to go first is probably the battery, so battery needs to be replacable and I'm not sure how replacable they are with some models.

She only wants one so she can hoover upstairs, but says as long as I'm happy to do it, then no need :oops:

5. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Arrrggggg Hans don’t say Hoover it’s vacuum, there are a couple over on this thread hopping mad about using the term Hoover

“Can anyone recommend which is better- shark or Dyson?” :eek:

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just checked and Shark only make hoovers whereas Dyson make many other appliances other beside hoovers, so if you mention Shark you must be meaning their hoovers as they only make hoovers. :)

7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

I'm an agent for Numatic so I'm going to give my very biased vote to the cordless Henry, a superb little workhorse of a vacuum designed and built in Somerset, 30 minute run time on one Panasonic made Lion power pack, can be supplied with two. Takes all 32mm tools so a massive range of Numatic and other brands of tools will fit the lance. HepaFlo bags are super efficient, available cheaply everywhere and easy to replace.

The Hoover debate is an interesting one, Hoover is an accepted generic in the vacuum cleaner business for a type of vaccuum popularised by Saddler William Henry Hoover who purchased the design from James Spangler, the generic "hoover" was a class of machine that is little made now. It uses a single stage, rigid fan on a common motor also turning the brush roll, the dust is pulled through the fan and expelled into the dust bag. The Kirby and commercial version of the Eureka are two of the survivors of this type.

Nearly all modern vacuums owe their technical lineage to Hubert Cecil Booth's Goblin machines, there a multi stage fan pulls the dust through the bag or cyclone and a separate motor runs the brush roll - the cyclonic dust collector was invented by an American engineer called John M Finch in 1885 for use in saw mills and adapted to smaller use, Filter Queen launched the first cyclonic vacuum in 1928 although it was popularised by James Dyson who created the first design to use a plastic drum rather than a bag to capture the dust.

The bagless vacuum is a triumph of marketing on the domestic scene, it is interesting that no manufacturer of commercial vacuum has yet to launch a bagless version (Numatic, Nilfisk, Nilco-Fakir, Oreck, Sebo, Victor all still bagged). The main issue with the bagless cleaner is that the complicated cyclone and filters eventually become clogged with fine dust, meaning when they are used commercially they are normally dead pretty quickly. The bagged vac has the advantage that you replace effectively the entire filter system every change returning your machine to factory efficiency with virtually no mess in the drum.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  8. zoec

zoec New Member

well, dyson or not it's totally up to you. I personally have one in my office but an old one in my home, both work fine. If you don't have to choose a particular brand, then I will suggest you can go with Moose M, Its flexible angles help it to move in any direction and reach the corner areas. (also the one in my house) .read this, then you'll know how to choose.;)

9. zoec

zoec New Member

10. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

Some garages are just far too eager to "find" problems.

When I bought my current car 3 years ago, I took it to VW for first service as I wanted some other stuff checked too as it was a bit of a dodgy buy.
    The advised replacement of all brakes, all tyres, plus a cracked suspension bush and quoted me £1700 to sort.

The tyres lasted another 12 to 18 months and the brakes nearly 3 years. I've also searched hard for the cracked bush, but neither I, nor any mechanic who's viewed the vehicle since have found it.

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

There is also the scam about brake fluid moisture content sweeping the sector, where the garage presents a 3% reading as needing attention - despite this being the entirely predictable reading after 12 months or so. Manufacturer schedules are almost always 2 years.

12. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Re the brake fluid. Has anyone ever experienced brake fad or loss of brakes due to fluid age.
    Very rare indeed. Years ago, I used to test BFluid from the master cylinder. Then checked the fluid from a new can of fluid. Little difference.
    So, as a rule of thumb I always bled the brakes when fitting new pads or pads & discs, cos your there anyway, it makes sense to do it then.
    And, as Jimbo has said, don't be fooled by the scams.

Ps. Re Vac Cleaner.
    After having many Dysons over the years, (at least 3) we went for a Miele.
    Best move by far.

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Just brought a Dyson V10, they are on offer £100 off direct from Dyson. Why settle for second best? You gets what you pays for.

14. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Over time the brake fluid absorbs moisture (water). when it gets hot, under continual hard braking, the water boils to stem and makes the brake pedal feel as if their is air in the system. It goes away when the fluid cools below 100 c.

15. fariha

fariha New Member

Dyson has greater dust capacity but shark is cheaper than dyson.

16. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

As was pointed out earlier to a related subject, there’s not one recognised vacuum manufacturer in that list. Why? The ones that actually work, made by people who know what they are doing, are well over £500. Wait until they come down in price.

The cheap ones have a dust collector box the size of a matchbox, and fall over the moment they come anywhere a piece of furniture. Useful only in a small flat with laminate and no thresholds.

Robot mowers are an outstanding product and worked well from the start, but they cost £1000s in the beginning. A few years later you can now pick them up for a much more reasonable price.

On the stick vac issue we have a £100 Vax stick and a numatic Henry. I tried to commit the Henry to the garage but found myself repeatedly bringing it back in for big jobs. The stick is great for day to day use and quick jobs like spills, but the bagless system of 4+ filters is an absolute ball-a€he to clean. Even emptying the dust collector is a messy job.

17. eusebioeffertz

eusebioeffertz New Member

Dyson is a valuable vacuum cleaner. If the price is between 150- £ 200, then you can completely accept it. But the vacuum cleaner costs mid-range when you learn the Smart Clean Guide tips. It can fully satisfy the advanced needs

18. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Recently bought a Dyson cordless and have to say very impressed. I go it as a refurb on Ebay direct from Dyson themselves. Big saving on brand new but looked brand new when I unpacked it.

19. eusebioeffertz

eusebioeffertz New Member

Congratulate you. This is the right choice. Dyson is awesome

20. Jonny Roger

Jonny Roger New Member

So I also use the Dyson V7 and it is too good but recently it got to stop in between cleaning I thought that it needs to charge the battery but after charging it not working and I don't know what is happening so if anyone knows the Vacuum Cleaner Repair Dubai pls help me out.