Masonry paint flaking

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by BLane289, Mar 18, 2021.

1. BLane289

BLane289 New Member

Hi All

A bit of advice if I can. I painted an outside workshop a few weeks back with a water based masonry paint. The building is rendered block, built ages ago. It already had a masonry paint on the walls which looked sound (no peeling/ flacking). So here is where you will point out I went wrong. I jet washed the walls to get rid of dirt and any green algae(?). Waited for it to dry and then applied a couple of coats of masonry paint allowing drying time between. At the time the weather wasn’t ideal, day time temperature probably below 8c, night time 0 and below. Anyway 2 or 3 weeks later the paint is flaking, very small bits (at which point you are thinking that was bound to happen). Not what I would call peeling. More of a problem on one of the 2 walls. On the other one more of a problem lower down. Anyway I could probably wire brush the lot off with minimum effort or even blast it off with my dreaded jet wash. I am inclined to do the later to take me back to the original sound coat and start again in warmer times. I don’t think it needs to be sealed as the original paint is doing that fine? What do you advise. Be kind.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To cold at this time of year more than likely got frost in it.

3. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Frosting is the reasoning

4. BLane289

BLane289 New Member

Thanks Dr Decorator. So you think a jet wash to remove, leave to dry for a few days then reapply when the weather is more sensible will do the trick? No need to seal? I note there are pliolite resin based paints like Sandtex 365 that might satisfy my urge to do it while the weather isn’t summer like.

5. BLane289

BLane289 New Member

That’s a rather a strange and unnecessary response. The responses I had kindly received seemed like observations for the reasons for the flaking. I don’t recall saying I am simply going to do exactly the same thing and expect a different outcome. That would be madness. I was simply asking whether an alternative pliolite paint will provide a better solution to the water based paint in colder conditions.

6. Dr Decorator

Wait till clocks go forward, (longer days). jet wash may be to aggressive, stiff brush maybe sufficient.
    Coat of peelstop then your topcoats
    I try to avoid solvent or oil at all costs.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Exactly what I said in a lot fewer words!

8. Dr Decorator

Astra, I suffer from verbose
    Astra, I suffer from Verbosity

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I only know of one other person who suffers from that, funny enough he also posts on this forum. ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021