Worcester + Megaflo - no heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kimura, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Kimura

Kimura New Member

We've got a Worcester GreenStar 18i boiler (2 years old) and a Megaflo (indirect unvented I believe) and our central heating has packed this morning.

I've found two valves in the airing cupboard, connected to the Megaglo tank and if I open one of them manually and then reset the boiler, it comes on and the radiators heat up. However it stops after while.
    TBH I find the megaflo pipe layout confusing so not even sure what each valve does exactly. The valve I've opened is the upper on of the two (you can see the level in the open position in the photo)

Any idea what might be going on here?
    I'm happy to get an engineer out but would rather wait until Tuesday as Bank Holiday rate quotes so far have been like 180 quid an hour. But I don't want to make it worse and more expensive obvs.

Cheers

IMG_1253.jpeg IMG_1253.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

The lower valve is for hot water flow from the boiler into the tank. The upper valve is for hot water flow from the boiler to the radiators/heating circuit.

If your programmer/timer is set for central heating and the valve is not opening, there are a few possible causes. Either the valve below the actuator has seized. The valve actuator may be faulty. There might be a wiring/controls fault.

How competent are you with electrics and do you have a multimeter?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  3. Kimura

Kimura New Member

I do have a multimeter. I'm somewhat competent with electrics.

Any idea why the boiler would run for c.10-15 mins and heat the radiators up nicely and then stop and need resetting?

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Does the boiler need resetting? Are there any error codes displayed? What's the pressure in the system?

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You may have low water pressure in the heating system.
    Check the pressure gauge if it’s a sealed system.

6. Kimura

Kimura New Member

Yeah I have to reset it. Works. Then stops after about 15 mins.

pressure dial in the boiler says 2 bar

edit: the info button does produce a fault code: E9 i2 276 “faulty flow sensor”

7. Kimura

Kimura New Member

Looking at it, I think the pressure is actually going UP. It's been 1 bar for ages but now it's over 2.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If its only two years old you can get Worcester out on a warranty call as it should still be covered by them.
    Do not fiddle yourself beyond what is expected of the houlsholder to do as you may invalidate any warranty you have