Dimmer Switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Peter Gee, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Peter Gee

Peter Gee Member

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Find a cheap dimmer switch that has the right frame colour and swap out the internals for the Varilight one that you have. Or just wait until the paint on the wall fades ;)

sparky steve and Bazza like this.
  3. Peter Gee

Peter Gee Member

mm, that sound like a good idea. Is it relatively straight forward to do? I don't want to break the £25.00 dimmer I've just bought! I don't suppose it would work with the old switch? :)

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It really is a 2-3 minute job

Pull off plastic knob

This will reveal a slim nut that holds switch module to faceplate

Spanner or pliers to undo nut, it won’t be super tight

Swap over faceplate

Add nut and tighten - take care not to scratch faceplate with pliers / spanner

Repkace knob - will have a flat section inside that lines up with flat on switch module spindle

Job done
    Good luck

5. Peter Gee

Peter Gee Member

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The type of dimmer depends on the type of load. A dimmerable LED will need an LED dimmer.
    A 60watt halogen lamp needs a different sort of dimmer.

7. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Or he could just simply dim the lights?:D

Rulland likes this.
  8. Peter Gee

Peter Gee Member

I've already go the dimmer switch, it's just that I don't like the shade of white, somebody suggested that I change the dimmer faceplate. I just wanted to know does the replacement faceplate need to be an LED Dimmer faceplate, or will any dimmable faceplate do (i.e. not LED)?? :)

Cheers

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It is just the dimmer module that is specific to LED. The faceplate doesn’t care what you have on your ceiling.

10. Peter Gee

Peter Gee Member

Ok, so would the old "switch" face plate do?

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I have no idea. If it’s a bit of plastic with the right sized holes in it then it will probably suit.
    But you have the advantage of being able to see the old switch plate, I can’t see it from here and, unfortunately, clairvoyance isn’t one of my powers.

sparky steve likes this.
  12. Peter Gee

Peter Gee Member

Lol, ok, thanks for your input.:)

13. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

That wouldn't help, it is the power of 'remote viewing' that you need. Amazon even sell book on the subject and other such nonsense

sparky steve likes this.
  14. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

You need one of these in your toolkit Bazza:D

Attached Files: