Emulsion over pine moulding panelling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Apr 11, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

If pine moulding is sealed and primed with BIN primer, is it okay to paint with wall emulsion as I want everything, walls moulding and skirting to be all one colour.

I'm thinking of getting Farrow Ball paint, their modern emulsion has 7% sheen and estate eggshell for wood has 20% sheen but I'm hesitant about the difference in sheen levels and prefer everything one colour and sheen without any difference.

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Yes, emulsion is fine over BIN/wood.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

There is an easy way to achieve the same sheen level of finish across the whole range of different paints used.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

mix them all together :D

Astramax likes this.
  5. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Which is?
    If you're kind enough to tell me....

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good thinking...no cigar though.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Think about it.....it's a simple solution.

8. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Well I'm no pro...only thing I can think of is giving it a light sand down after each coat....

But then sanding down does reduce the durability of the paint to some extent. Anyway even if this is the solution sanding moulding and detailed routed skirting is a hassle.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No sanding involved.. your overthinking.

10. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Okay thanks anyway.

11. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Decorators varnish over the whole lot. Do I win a prize?

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You win the prize.....which is setting up a Personal Forum Message System for @WillyEckerslike.

Polyvine matt or a combination of matt and satin mixed together for the required sheen level. Luckily for you the bonus prize is you get to reply to any further questions from @DIY_Hans123.:oops:....;)

Red Star Boats likes this.
  13. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Well that stuff is expensive if I have to go over every surface to get the same consistent dead flat finish....almost £60 for 4 litres.

And wouldn't such top coat defeat the properties of the original paint like durability and anti-mould (F&B modern emulsion)?

But if I can use the modern emulsion on BIN primed skirting and moulding....I'd be happy ;)

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The decorators varnish not only will provide an all over even finish but add a layer of protection over the emulsion painted timber which ....and have no doubt about it will get chipped very easily and soon look a mess. Personally I would have used 123 rather than BIN.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Polyvine covers 20sq mts per litre.
    Forget Farrow and Ball take a look at Little Greene & Co or Dulux Heritage if cost is a concern.

16. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Well nothing is primed yet and have plenty of BIN primer left but any particular reason why 123 would be better in this case?

Cost isn't really a concern but just seems a hassle going over everything again with this polyvine stuff after the mist cost, 2 primer coats on wood, then 2 emulsion coats over it all....I'd have my work cut out lol.

If I go over only the emulsioned wood in polyvine, still a difference in sheen levels as this would be then be dead flat matt and F&B modern emulsioned walls would be 7% sheen....dilemmas :(

Now I could just be overthinking this whole thing and this difference in sheen levels wouldn't even be all that noticeable....hmm

17. Isaac Cox

Isaac Cox Member

Ask @Wayners?

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ask Isa No-idea Cox.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You do not understand... the whole lot is covered all walls and woodwork. This would answer your question and provide an even sheen level to every surface..all sheen would be the same once covered with the decorators varnish.

DIY_Has123 likes this.
  20. Isaac Cox

Isaac Cox Member

Sorry. It was a dig at the poster after the other time he didn't like your advice.
    My bad.