JCC V50 Downlights.. thoughts?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Deleted member 246321, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Hello

Have any of you used these downlights before? I’ve had a look online and they look good, with a shallow depth and choice of light colour and dimmable.

Just wondering on quality and reliability. Is it correct that insulation can be laid directly over them, so touching the light fitting? Would be very difficult (not impossible) to get to where they are if i need to put covers over them, and if they don’t need a cover and insulation can be touching them I can get one where I thought I couldn’t before.

thanks for any help.

2. If no one has experience of these particular lights, can anyone recommend a bathroom downlight that can be fitted with insulation straight on top, dimmable and good quality??

3. CosD

CosD Active Member

I prefer a light fitting that I can change a bulb. LED's do last a long time, but that doesn't mean you won't get a failure. If you have a blown bulb and the model is discontinued you are stuck with an odd light fitting or having to change them all.
    Just my opinion........

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  4. ATPSparks

ATPSparks New Member

Good morning

Surprised you haven’t had any replies to your enquiry. The JCC V50 is one of the market leaders and provided you register each fittings Serial code they come with a 5 year guarantee. Over the years of fitting these I’ve had very few failures, you have the option via a switch behind the Bezel to colour change between warm white and cool white, they are IP65 and dimmable. Just about ticks every box not forgetting of course the push fit wiring connection and not screw terminals and the guard on the back to hold the insulation at bay.

Hope that answers your question?

Regards

5. Thanks ATPSparks.
    What about the insulation? Can the lights be laid with insulation directly on them and touching the body of the light. I’ve looked at the installation instructions and at the top it says they can be covered but then there is a diagram showing the lights with 75mm clearance also?

Attached Files:

6. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I mentioned them last night in another post. Have a look at TP24 and their recessed lights - they can have insulation straight over: https://www.tp24.com/shop/all-products/downlights.html They look good, warm white and daylight, dimmable, replaceable bulbs, various bezels - chrome, satin, white, IP 65 rated version, low profile (50mm).

7. Cheers I will take a look. Was interested in the jcc v50 as had been recommended them but will definitely have a look at these too

8. ATPSparks

ATPSparks New Member

75 mm Clearance from joists has always been the golden rule for Halogen or LED Downlights although not always practical when working on an existing plaster board ceiling with uneven/twisted joists, quite often come across quite a few installs where they are within 25mm of joists.
    As for the insulation factor, I always get a pokey stick (hammer handle) and do my best to move the insulation away or put a hole in it to create ventilation around the light, at least that way it's only lightly touching, this is in the case where access cannot be gained from above.

As mentioned by FlyByNight, there are so many manufactures of downlights to choose from and JCC is just one of many, but I for one will click on the link provided and have a look at TP24, always worth a look!

Regards

ATP

9. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

10. Thanks these look a good option too and definitely one to consider considering the ease of ordering from screwfix. I like the fact that you can search the Q&As and the manufacturers have answered several times that insulation can be rolled directly over the top as long as it’s not packed tightly around.