Soundproof garage conversion help

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Stuart16, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Stuart16

Stuart16 New Member

I’m in the process of converting part of my garage to a office/ sound studio and need to work out the best way to minimise sound from outside. I’m close to neighbours on 2 sides and want to minimise the sound of kids playing / lawnmowers etc.

The garage is exterior build and single skinned. I have minimal budget but have read 2 plaster boards on the wall is best but I’m a total newbie.

this will also effect if I use a stud wall or plasterboard+insulation panels.
    I need to consider the ceiling and floor to. Any help welcome- thank you.

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

First consider the needs of the room for thermal insulation, that will entail building a stud frame around all of the walls, but do not fix it to the wall at any point, fix to the floor and roof leaving a small gap between the studding and the garage wall. It may also be useful to fix a breather membrane on the outside of the stud frame before you offer it up for fixing. Now fill the gap in the frame with insulation, cavity batts or rigid foam, staple the cavity batts to the frame or fix the rigid foam with expanding foam, leaving no gaps. Give the roof the same treatment, fix a frame from wall to wall, avoid fixing to the roof structure. Fit a vapour barrier over all and then double plasterboard. Now look at the windows and doors, secondary glazing is best for sound reduction and a double door (with airlock) will keep out unwanted noise. You are a sound engineer, use your knowledge of how sound transmits and attenuates during the construction of the room. Now all you have to do is ventilate it. To further reduce unwanted background noise, I suggest you carefully select a microphone with a narrow polar curve to reduce the width of the sound pick up.

Stuart16 likes this.
  3. Stuart16

Stuart16 New Member

Thank you Bob. I can’t tell you how helpful that is, I’ve been researching but have been getting more and more confused.

can I fix the stud-walling securely to a chipboard floor that’s already been put down or do the stud wall first before I lay this down?

Thanks again.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You need to be meticulous with this to get the results you’re after. You can easily spend a lot of money and put in many hours work and be underwhelmed with the performance so to speak. A ‘floating’ room within the main structure is the way to go as Bob has mentioned.

Stuart16 likes this.
  5. Stuart16

Stuart16 New Member

Thanks. Yes I’m trying to figure out this all before I commit. I’m not a builder so this may as we’ll be Building a space rocket.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

2 year old thread. Look up resilient bars.