Int door installed against warped frame

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by North41, Apr 20, 2021.

1. North41

North41 Member

Hi,

Looking for some advice - hired someone to fit an internal door in the downstairs loo, in the small porch/downstairs extension area.

Upon completion of the door install, I was horrified to see that there was a wedge shaped-gap at the top of the door, more or less running the entire length of it.

The person who was did the fitting said there was nothing that he could do about it as the frame was sloping at the top.

I'm looking for ideas about how I can correct this, without getting someone to remove the frame entirely and get it refitted straight (which I imagine would be very costly).

I've attached a picture of the door from both the outside and the inside. Any suggestions about how to correct this would be massively appreciated. The door itself is a cheap internal door, seems like MDF or something even less dense than that.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Photo of the bottom of door please.

Jord86 likes this.
  3. North41

North41 Member

See attached two photos of the bottom of the door from the outside, and one from the inside, seems fairly flat...

Attached Files:

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It looks hung upside down.

Astramax likes this.
  5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Posted whilst I was typing. He's hung it upside down. Incredible where these people come from.

6. North41

North41 Member

I thought you were joking... He's coming back tomorrow to do a few other bits, we're really not happy with some of the work - he's done some tiling and plastering and it's all more miss than hit.

I'm a complete novice, so could you let me know how you know it's upside down, and what the implications of an upside down door are please? I imagine it being upside down doesn't impact the the gap issue...

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The top rail on a door (especially the Howdens ones you look to have) is about 100mm in depth, whilst from memory the bottom rail is 150-175mm deep, in almost all cases the top rail is narrower in depth than the bottom rail. The implications are cosmetic rather than strength orientated (unless the handles have also been fitted on the wrong hollow side rather than the stile with the lockblock inside) and that it's been hung poorly and wrongly by an incompetent faux tradesman that has clearly lied to you and doesn't seem to know what he's doing.

North41 likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's why I asked for a photo of the bottom! The standard of work is appalling especially the hinge rebates. Did his mum drop him off and collect him.

North41 likes this.
  9. North41

North41 Member

Thank you both - I'm not sure whether to raise the upside down issue with him, as my immediate concern is more the gap at the top which he said he couldn't do anything about. Any ideas on what I might be able to do with a very limited skillset myself, or would it need a second tradesperson in, like a dedicated carpenter? He only charged £80 for the labour to hang the door so I wasn't expecting perfection, but I'm less than pleased even at that price - would've expected him to try to fix the gap rather than leave it as is and say it can't be helped.

The upside-down issue is annoying, but not unexpected given the really disappointing finish on his other bits of the downstairs toilet (the room that the door is for). Thankfully, the door isn't on immediate show in the house and isn't very regularly used so I'd probably be OK to let that slide. The door handle also seems to work OK. The door jams when closing a little but he's advised he's going to sand the side of the door down tomorrow to sort that. (photo added from the inside, of where the door is catching currently)

Attached Files:

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I know, sussed it straight away but hoped it was the camera angle, how on earth do these 'trades' get the opportunity of the work in the first place is beyond me?

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Out of interest whereabouts in the country are you? The work required to repair and mess about with sorting it out properly you'd be better off getting a new one hung by someone who's not a total bell end.

North41 likes this.
  12. North41

North41 Member

I mean... He had like 9.75 on check a trade! I'm a new homeowner so I went on that site expecting to be able to rely on it, given the whole point of it is to promote good tradespeople. I have many other jobs that'll need doing around the house, I've already allocated some of them to this person, but for the others, if I can't rely on check a trade, I'm not sure where to look..

13. North41

North41 Member

I'm in Leeds.. I wonder if the doors basically ruined now but we can rescue the handle for someone else to put on a new door.

If you know of anyone reputable in the area, I'm all ears!!

Thank you again for your help.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

He owes you a new replacement door.

The gap at the top of the door could have been reasonably corrected by raising the door and sliding in, the downside is you would have a bigger gap at the bottom but may have got away with planting a piece of timber onto bottom of door.

North41 likes this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Remove the handles, hinges, latch and strike plate and keep for re-use, bin the door and sack the numpty but not before ensuring he replaces the door with a brand new one and gives your £80 back.

North41 likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tip of the week....go by recommendations from colleagues, friends and family etc

17. I would unallocate them from him tbh. Ask people, family/workmates/neighbours etc if they can recommend anyone that they have used and been happy with there work. How do these cowboys get such high ratings. I wonder if these websites conveniently leave off the bad reviews!?

North41 likes this.
  18. North41

North41 Member

I can't tell what percentage of the suggestions are serious - I can't imagine I'd be able to ask him to supply a new door or refund me!

But I agree with the suggestion that he should've hung it so that the gap was at the bottom... I feel like a bit of a moron myself at present, and trying to decide what to do next. I feel like it's gonna be harsh to unallocate jobs but I also don't want to end up with another set of jobs like this so I will go with that.

He has to come back tomorrow to fill in some gaps that have appeared in grouting in the floor tiles he's laid today, and some other remedial bits. But realistically with the door, I am thinking of telling him that the doors upside down, and we're not happy with the quality of the work - but we'd still have to pay him for the work he's done I imagine - legally/morally since he has spent time on it.. If the collective wisdom here is aligned, just pay him for work-done and then get someone competent in to re-do it all with a new door..

19. Personally I wouldn’t pay for that work. And I wouldn’t let him carry out more work if he thinks that standard is acceptable. Not sure u should have gaps appearing in grout either!?
    U are not a moron btw :)

North41 likes this.
  20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Should read...scribing in not sliding (auto correct)

North41 likes this.