Stolen Tool Issue

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Anthony Radjenovic, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Anthony Radjenovic

Anthony Radjenovic New Member

Hi all,

Renovating my house and 4 weeks ago I had had a joiner and his apprentice and 2 floor fitters all working individually in the house with me coming and going or leaving them to it.

As I was also doing work there I left my tools there including a new dewalt laser level... Someone nicked the laser - they opened the case took the laser out and then closed it back up again so I wouldn’t notice. Only now 4 weeks later when I come to use it and open the case to find it empty do I realise.

I’ve pinpointed it to those 4 individuals as I used it 4 weeks ago and no one has been in since. How do I go about gently asking each of them about it without sounding accusational?

Sorry not building related but I’m just really gutted as it was expensive and I need it!

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The culprits fingerprints will be on the box, you could ask did they accidentally take your laser level when they were clearing up.

3. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

Just ask them if they happened to see your laser level.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

....simply ask the suspect 'does he like hospital food! :cool: ;)

sparky steve likes this.
  5. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

You could ask them to play a game of this? With character name changes of course.:D BE49E698-D38E-403D-86FC-A404B2E81C48.jpeg Alternative, “which one of you guys borrowed my laser” and have accidentally placed it back into your own toolbox?:)

Astramax likes this.
  6. U can only ask the boss ‘I’ve lost my laser, none of you guys have picked it up by accident have you’?

If he’s noticed one of his lads has a new laser u might get lucky, but if they say no there isn’t much u can do apart from not use them again. Police wouldn’t be interested.

Are u sure u haven’t misplaced it or it’s been knocked under a floor, down a hole etc and covered. I’ve seen it so many times, people on site (including me) saying they have had something stolen then it turns up later where they left/lost it.

7. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

I have a great habit of losing my tools in loft spaces or ceiling voids :(:confused:
    But in all seriousness I would definitely speak to the boss and politely ask him...failing that follow their van around to different jobs to see if they have a nice shiny laser :rolleyes:

8. Haha me too. I just know on site lots of peoples first reaction is to think it’s been stolen lol

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I take it you have already paid up, you need to ask them directly, you employed people to work in your house the last thing you expect is one of them if not 2 are thieving low lifes, tell them you are getting the police involved if it isn't returned, no point in being nice about it

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

A call to them and say:

"A couple of items have gone missing from my house recently, including make up two items and a Dewalt laser level. Can I just check that there were no other visitors on site when you were here as the Police will need to know when they come to take fingerprints"

If they did take the level the situation could go one of three ways, they ignore you and keep it, it could be posted back/reappear in your garden, or they decide to dump it.

Others have suggested you could have misplaced it. With De Walt Laser it is always returned to the carrying case - on of th few tools I do it with.

11. Sparkielev

Do you know these trades have they done work for you before, did you get them from a trade sight?

12. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I initially read that as "make up" as in lipstick etc.
    But I now realise that you meant 50k in cash and an original van-gogh or something similar.

13. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

So does my Dad, unfortunately it was my good hammer and not his own **** far eastern made one that he slated over with no access to the void!!!
    I went and bought an Estwing, he doesn't like it, fortunately!

OP I dabble a little in old tools, restoring them. selling them on etc.. I gave a good mate of mine, who's a joiner, a very early hardly used Pre war Record No 4 smoothing plane, rosewood handles, original hardly used blade etc.. He was chuffed to bits, best plane he's ever had, some t**t, who probably doesn't even appreciate quality, nicked it straight away.

14. Sparkielev

It's an unwritten rule amongst trades you dont steal another man's tools, the fact that a trade has done this boils my ****

gadget man, Jord86 and FlyByNight like this.