New Ring Video Doorbell Wired

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paul Martin, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Paul Martin

Paul Martin New Member

Ring are bringing out a new wired doorbell in May 21, these are the power requirements for it

Power
    Hardwired. Requires an existing doorbell system (8-24 VAC , 40VA max, 50/60Hz, or 24VDC, 0.5A, 12W).
    Incompatible with halogen or garden-lighting transformers; Ring DC transformer/power supply only

I currently have an existing doorbell system that is using a Friedland D753

Primary voltage: 220/240v AC. / Secondary voltage: 8v AC. / Secondary current: 1.0A.

Just wanted to check whether this would be OK power wise or whether I would need a more powerful 8-24v transformer installed before I purchase this.

Thanks in advance

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If they say it needs a DC supply your present transformer won't work because it has AC output.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve got the Ring Pro 2, fitted it myself and a couple for family also

Realise your talking about the new model but the 2 requires 24v - probably the same as your new one

Can either be supplied by a module type bell transformer that fits inside your consumer unit (takes up 2 mcb slots) Screwfix sell one by British General

Can also be mounted outside the CU in a separate dbl mcb enclosure if no spare ways inside the CU. Power to transformer taken from an existing mcb, say from lighting circuit - you ‘may’ need an electrician to fit this / then 24v output to Ring

Has various power outputs but again, Ring requires 24v side

Or simply a plug in type transformer that matches all power specs published and outputs and again 24v

But no, your existing 8v Friedland will be of no use whatsoever

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

I bought a cheap plug in transformer (ebay) for my ring doorbell. Luckily had a cupboard with plug directly behind the doorbell location. Much easier that hardwiring in

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I did suggest that in my reply - just depends if a convenient socket is available or you can extend and run the output to the bell

I've fitted four such doorbells so certainly no world expert on the subject !
    Just 1 out of the 4 had such a handy socket
    Other 3 all fed via CU module transformer

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Yes, your existing doorbell transformer should work. The requirements are AC or DC.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The ring video doorbell will not work with existing 8v transformer - it needs around 20-24 V

Slightly confusing data as Ring does say 8-24V required

The 8V output is when you have a separate chime, it won’t power the camera and video functions

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

The new non-pro version does appear to work from 8V. The Pro version seems to require a higher voltage.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I could well be wrong and happy to admit it if so !

Slightly confusing range of products a descriptions but I ‘think’, the non-pro versions have a built in battery which will charge in situ if hardwired and full doorbell/camera functions but still required 8-24V for best charging and performance

The pro version has no inbuilt battery and so must be hardwired, again requires 8-24V supply

I’m not so sure that camera, video functions and battery charging will work well solely on an 8V supply, - including the new Ring 3

8-24V will give optimum performance (subject to connectivity and location and etc and other stuff) !

10. Paul Martin

Paul Martin New Member

Ok, seems best to wait until it actually comes out and then read the instructions. Thanks for the replies

11. Darren McKinstry

Darren McKinstry New Member

Hi,

If it helps others, I've just installed the new (2021) Ring wired doorbell (ie the non Pro one that doesn't have a battery) using the pre existing bell wiring and transformer. The existing install is somewhere in the 15-25+ years old bracket.

I could only find one other article online which didn't confuse the 'wired' with the 'wired pro'. The article suggested that the 'wired' should be fine on an old 8-10v setup (the 'pro' needs more) so I gave it a go...

Pre-existing transformer had no power markings on it but the existing chime had 8-10v marked on it so I went for it.

Ring wired bell is functioning perfectly with the old wiring and transformer. The ring app is reporting 'good' transformer voltage and indicating that it is 15v.

Hope that helps anyone else making the install.

DanielT likes this.
  12. Paul Martin

Paul Martin New Member

Thanks for this Darren, I took the plunge. Similar situation to you, wired doorbell system is 10-20 years old but I'm receiving "Good" voltage. It works really well and is so easy to install.

DanielT and Darren McKinstry like this.
  13. DanielT

DanielT New Member

Hi Darren, hopefully you see this reply. I'm looking to get the Ring wired doorbell and similar to you want to use existing transformer and wiring. This post has helped and I think what I have is compatible. Do you have any pictures of your set up?

See attached pics of what I have.

Friedland D780 (I think this is the doorbell transformer, it's not in the CU)
    Doorbell chime in hallway is a Friedland Type 1

Attached Files:

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ahem. Unless I've forgotten my ohms law, Ring requires the transformer to be rated at nearly 2amps if you are going for the AC option.
    Your existing (AC) transformer is only rated at Secondary current: 1.0A. So no go.

Im not sure why if the DC rating at 24v is 0.5amp, but they want nearly four times that for an AC transformer. You'll have to ask them.

DanielT likes this.
  15. DanielT

DanielT New Member

Just to confirm, this is what the Ring official site states 'Video Doorbell Wired is compatible only with an existing doorbell system that includes a low voltage 8-24VAC transformer.'

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

At what watt rating. That’s kind of important.

17. DanielT

DanielT New Member

Yeah not sure, watt info seems to be missing from site. The posters above me appear to have similar setup and have installed the doorbell successfully and I was hoping they'd confirm or send images.

18. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Mine is happy running from the 1A one that’s been in the house for 20 years.

DanielT likes this.
  19. DanielT

DanielT New Member

Good to know! Were you able to see my pics attached above? Do they match your setup?

20. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

More or less. Mine was wired slightly strangely by the builder. They had connected both bells back at the transformer.
    If you have a multimeter it should be fairly simple.