6 x 2 instead of traditional deck boards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Rich07, Apr 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rich07

Rich07 New Member

Hi,

I'm putting a 6m x 4m deck down and want 6m boards running the length of the deck.

Price wise there's not much difference between buying 6m traditional grooved deck boards (need to factor in delivery) vs buying 6m 6x2 C24 timber locally.

Can anyone advise whether I'm likely to run into any problems using 6x2 (suitably oiled and treated etc)?

Cheers,

Richard

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

If it's pressure treated then it should do the job, although 2" will be a lot thicker than it needs to be. I'm surprised it's not a lot more expensive though.
    Ideally you'll need to carefully position and countersink all the screws as they'll look unsightly.
    The grooved boards can aid drainage on shorter lengths, but don't really help grip.

3. Rich07

Rich07 New Member

Cost wise perhaps I just need to ring round a few places then, I can't seem to find many people selling 6m lengths

4. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

At that length any warping will show up more when being selected .

5. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Agreed, it will also be hard to 'tweak' any boards that aren't straight and get consistent gaps.

6. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

@ AnotherTopJob.
    +1 to what you say.
    I was thinking aloud why Rich07 can't find 6m lengths at the
    timber merchants.

7. Rich07

Rich07 New Member

I'll ring around Monday, just been going off what is advertised on websites so far