Fixing a wall plate for 6x2 trusses.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by marc johnson, May 3, 2021.

1. marc johnson

marc johnson New Member

Hi everyone.

My first time here so I'm just finding my way around.

I need to fix a 6x2 (8ft) wall plate to the back of my house. i intend to attach 5 6x2 trusses (10ft long and at 24inch centres) and make a covered area outside my back door. kinda like a car port or pergola.

My questions are:

Do these wood dimensions seem fine to polycarbonate sheeting ?

regarding fixing the wall plate to the wall.... what would you suggest i use?

I hope this makes sense and thanks so much for you advice in advance.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

6x2 attached to the wall is over the top. I did exactly what you're planning, but I did it all in 4x2. I also covered mine with polycarbonate panels. I live in Oxford, and my area is quite sheltered from wind, snow, etc. Where do you live? Will yours be exposed to gale force winds or heavy dumpings of snow?

3. marc johnson

marc johnson New Member

Ah ok thanks. Im in s. London. So about the same i guess. What about the trusses??

4. rogerk101

If by trusses you mean rafters, I used 4x2 attached to the wall, 4x2 as rafters to support the roof, and 4x2 as posts to hold up the non-wall ends of the rafters. I spaced the rafters and their associated posts 420mm apart. I could have spaced them further apart but I just took the measurement and divided it by the number of rafters. If I had skipped a rafter, the spacing would have been more than I'd have been comfortable with.

5. marc johnson

marc johnson New Member

Ah ok. I was hoping to use 4x2 but most things say they weren't enough. The span of my rafters will be 3m. What's the span of yours? Thanks for your time roger

6. rogerk101

My span is 3.1m. The polycarbonate panels are so light they didn't even budge the 4x2s when I put them on. In fact I even had to go up onto the roof to do the flashing once everything was fixed into place. Even if we had half a metre of snow on there it would be unlikely to overstress them. In fact if we ever had a lot of snow here, the surface of the polycarbonate is so smooth that the snow would simply slide off, without accumulating. The house protects it all from the South West, which is where our strongest winds come from, and there are enough trees a few metres away from it that they protect it from any other serious winds.
    Touching wood, all good so far after a couple of years and some really severe weather (by Oxford's standards).
    If I were in Scotland, Wales, or in a more exposed location, I would probably have gone for 6x2s.

7. marc johnson

marc johnson New Member

Roger thankyou that gives me confidence in the 4x2.

Im thinking of bringing down centres of the trusses now

Only thing different with mine is that its pretty flat. About 2 degrees (this is because i already have a flat roof next to it at 2° so intend on matching them up). however i still think with the rafters closer it should be fine.