Remove Kitchen Mixer Tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Philip Jeffery, May 2, 2021.

1. Philip Jeffery

Philip Jeffery New Member

I'm trying to remove a kitchen mixer tap but seem to be stuck at the first hurdle, I'm struggling to loosen the nut that is holding the current tap, the nut seems to have chamfered corners which means a basin wrench isn't able to get any grip.

I could look at an ordinary adjustable spanner, but worried about if this will fit.

Are there any other tools that might be suitable?

Attached Files:

2. Wide opening adjustable spanner if it will fit in there, looks a fair amount of room for a sink. Or a pair or grips. A decent basin spanner would get on that tho but there is a knack to it.
    Have you tried giving the tap a bit of a spin from above, sometimes that helps free the nut.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The nut has slightly rounded corners but cant see why a simple basin wrench wont get that nut off ?
    Quick spray of WD40 to help loosen things, get jaw orientation right and it should fly off I would have thought

https://www.screwfix.com/p/basin-wrench-1/14631#_=p

4. Philip Jeffery

Think it might be my poor technique with the basin spanner, bit of practice on a few others nuts has helped give me a better idea how the spanner should fit.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  5. John the plumber31

John the plumber31 Active Member

Did you get it off?

6. Philip Jeffery

Not yet, managed to get a better grip but it turns the entire tap instead of just the nut, I need another pair of hands to keep hold of the tap whilst I loosen the nut underneath, I'm very close though!

7. If you can get a good grip on the nut with your basin spanner, sometimes it’s easier to concentrate on holding that still on the nut, and let someone else turn the tap (anti clockwise) from above to get it started. Once it’s started moving it should be easier to get out, although u might still need someone to hold against by holding the tap above depending on how easy the nut unscrews.

exbg and John the plumber31 like this.
  8. John the plumber31

Welcome to the joys of plumbing and now you know what the likes of myself and pppmacca43 as plumbers go through on a daily basis whilst needing 3 arms and also having to be a contortionist :D.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  9. Philip Jeffery

The new tap is fitted! Thanks for the help everyone.

I had another headache after getting the nut loose, I couldn't get it passed the brass pipes without disconnecting the hoses, they were pretty difficult and very frustrating.

Think it took a few hours to get the old one removed and 30 mins to fit the new one.

Attached Files:

10. John the plumber31

Well done fella,glad to see you have it sorted :)

11. Well done, new tap looks great