Caulk on a painted surface

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by zuk, May 2, 2021.

1. zuk

zuk New Member

Hi there,

I'm new to home improvements, I apologise for the silly questions!
    I painted my skirting boards yesterday and discovered there is quite a gap between the board and the wall. I'm going to get some caulk to fill in the gap, but since I already painted the board with wood paint (it was primed already), will the caulk stick? Will I be able to paint over it? Do I need a specific caulk to paint over or can it be any?

The same issue is with my new door frame - there is a gap between the frame and the wall. Can I caulk that part too?

Thank you.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Most caulks will stick to most surfaces. Every caulk I've used even sticks to glossy paints, so you shouldn't have a problem at all. Just allow plenty of time for the caulk to dry out between each application, and never use too much of it at the same time. It WILL crack, so be prepared to apply several layers.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Siroflex Trade Strength Instant Paintable Caulk.

4. zuk

zuk New Member

Thank you for your help! And I'll check out Siroflex caulk.

5. zuk

zuk New Member

How long should I leave between applications? I applied the caulk yesterday, so far no cracks, how long do I need to wait before I start painting?

Thank you.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's the instant paintable Siroflex the clue is in the name, if it isn't the instructions are on the tube.

7. zuk

zuk New Member

Sorry, what I meant was that since it might crack between applications, and it hasn't cracked yet since yesterday, does it mean it won't crack and I can paint?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What product did you buy?....also read the instructions if unsure.