New Shower Installed - Slow Draining

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ben531, May 11, 2021.

1. Ben531

Ben531 New Member

Hi, I'm a tenant and we have just had our shower replaced. The shower tray now fills up after being turned on for a few minutes which has lead to a leak.

I believe this is the trap they fitted (not 100% sure): https://www.ashdownhomestore.co.uk/...ower-enclosure-tray-inc-flexipipe-11291-p.asp

I don't know much about plumbing but my guess would be that the problem is where the flexible piping peaks (see picture attached)

Any help would be appreciated
    IMG_6695.jpg

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Yeah the high point in the flexi isnt exactly helping, neither is the sharp 90 degree elbow and does the solid pipe afterwards have a slope on its length.

3. Ben531

Ben531 New Member

Hard to tell without a spirit level, it might be slightly sloped. And there are 3 90 degree corners before it exits through the exterior wall

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Best tell the LL of the problem before they pay the installer.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Remove the chrome top section from the trap ,and see if it flows freely with it removed .

6. Ben531

Ben531 New Member

When it filled up taking out the chrome top or the basket didn’t change how it flowed still slow. I’ve not tried starting the shower without it on though

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Did the previous shower tray drain ok ?
    If there is no difference when the traps components are removed ,then the pipework is likely restricted.

8. Flexi isn’t great, they are common on showers but it isn’t falling all the way. If it is blocked, I would guess it’s the pipe along the floor tho, doesn’t look like there’s any fall on it whatsoever

9. Ben531

Ben531 New Member

The previous shower was a pain, it was replaced as it used to leak. It had intermittent draining issues which I could fix by using a plunger to get it draining again.

10. I suspect the pipe is partially blocked with soap scum and hair due to the poor fall

terrymac likes this.
  11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

That pipe looks like it doesnt have a fall to it.