Is it OK to use push fit fittings ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by highlander7, May 12, 2021.

1. highlander7

highlander7 New Member

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Those shower fixings are cheap for a reason ... they're utter carp!
    You only want to do this once, right?
    If so, then spend a bit more and buy something that, ideally, is soldered. If you don't want to, or can't, solder, then use one with compression fittings.
    Also get one in which the pipes' spacing is fixed at 150mm centres. The manufacturers of these things will do a far better job of spacing that 150mm accurately that you could ever do yourself ... and that'll become increasingly important when you try to fit your shower bar.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yes, you're ok to use push fits on copper pipe within a stud wall.
    Have never used those fixings kits that claim to 'auto shut off' when the shower valve is removed, they may work well, but I'm not convinced.
    I normally use the standard sort like these https://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-bar-valve-wall-mount-fixing-kit-chrome/8669h.
    Although many shower manufacturers now supply their own with the shower, which is nice.

highlander7 likes this.
  4. highlander7

highlander7 New Member

Thanks for the replies

Yes, I'd agree re the auto shut off. I've fitted isolation valves further back on the pipework and am intending to install the fitting but leave out the auto shut off parts.