AMEX

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by FlyByNight, May 25, 2021.

1. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

When will ScrewFix accept American Express?

B&Q have recently changed and now accept Amex, so why not SF?

2. robgul

robgul Active Member

'cos they have to pay a much larger % to AMEX - the bigger margins on much of the B&Q stuff probably helps .... and the B&Q punter with AMEX probably spends more on high price/high margin lifestyle stuff.

[When I managed a bike shop - until late 2019 - IIRC the AMEX % was about 50% higher than the VISA/Mastercard rate]

3. FlyByNight

Not always, it is down to the retailer to negotiate. Sainsburys, Waitrose, Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons &c all work on very tight, small margins and they accept it. My local butcher accepts it and SF did at one time. A few years back, my billing manager, negotiated a rate with Amex that was lower than the MC & Visa rates.

4. FlyByNight

The incoming piece of excrement has arrived again.

Get a life and stop being such a ****ing t***er

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

It really is laughable.

I have reported goodness knows how many posts recently, and messaged the few admin left. Then I said a naughty word last night and got a warning for bad language.

Posting an avatar of face sitting can stand for 24 hours, yet I say pee off and get warned.

I think the admin team have really lost the plot.

6. robgul

robgul Active Member

Agreed - I'm going to vote with my feet for a while and just follow another forum - in fairness ref your naughty word, the warning was probably auto-generated by the forum s/w rather than a real-live person. [I run a forum in a different interest area and that has a dictionary of words and expressions that are suppressed automatically)

AND - I would again suggest the moderation of new registrants to weed out those "with a sense of humour" at birth.

7. Bazza-spark

No mate, it isn't autogenerated. It is an email from Peter.

8. Bazza-spark

So what is this fetish you have with somebody called Gordon?

9. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

He/she keeps on about Gordon Peters from Bournemouth, did a google, no such person, least not of note, in Bournemouth, but there was an actor called Gordon Peters who was mainly a bit player in sitcoms such as Are you being served, so the troll maybe a fan of 70's TV??!!, where Mr Peters lives now, who knows, he's still with us at 94, maybe Bournemouth

10. markus11

markus11 Member

Back on topic, it would be great if SF accepted Amex like most other stores and Toolstation.

11. Jkenn

Jkenn New Member

Just came across this post trying to pay with Amex. I figured a way round it. You can add your Amex card to a PayPal account and then use the pay with PayPal option online and it will let you use your Amex card.

12. john-n-smith

john-n-smith New Member

That's a good idea but worth noting that you will lose your Section 75 rights. See here for more info: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/.

13. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Amex always had an issue with retailers for decades as their charges are higher. As John n Smith points out, Amex excludes section 75, so you have no protection under the scheme for purchases over £100. Charge back is still available but this is more voluntary rather than enforced by law.

Amazon has stopped accepting Visa Debit fir much the sane reason.

large stores and chains tried their best to create their own cards, often giving discounts to tempt people in but none had the financial muscle to create their own instead simply lent their name to Banks running white label banking. Even big banks cannot create their own system as they need to operate across the world.

hence we have ended up with Amex, Visa and Mastercard with JCB, Discover and Diners club in the second tier

14. FlyByNight

AMEX is not ecxcluded from Sect 75, only if you use it through PayPal.

As for charges being higher - that is a fallacy these days. I know of a lot of small retailers that now take AMEX, butchers, bakers (but no candlestick makers), news agents, take away food vans, vets and more. They comment that it is costing them less than the other card companies.

Amazon stopped Visa debit becasue of costs - higher than AMEX and they still accept AMEX.

B&Q take AMEX and recently sent me a £10 voucher to encourage me to use it, £10 off £50 was a good deal.

15. Bill Packman

Bill Packman New Member

Toolstation accept AMEX. I go there whenever possible.

16. MikeByfield

MikeByfield Active Member

Section 75 cover depends on which Amex you’ve got.

if it’s the traditional charge card then there’s no S.75 cover at all because it’s not a credit card.

if it’s a newer type of Amex credit card where you can run a balance then you have S.75 cover.