Tiling a shower corner not square to tray

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Ollie Mason, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Ollie Mason

Ollie Mason Member

Hi guys,

Need some advice on tiling the corner of a shower enclosure that’s not totally square and so doesn’t fit flush to the tray. I replaced the bottom reactions of plasterboard/cement board earlier in the job and now the tray has gone back in I’ve found they’re not (and never were) square. Out by about 8mm at its widest on one side and flush the other, or slightly less than 8mm on both sides if I reposition the tray so it doesn’t sit flush on either wall. (See pics)

What would be the best way to lose this gap and ensure a good seal all the way round the tray? I’m only tiling the bottom two tows of tiles ( each 25cm high) but probably have enough space with that to bring the edge of the last row of tiles out just enough to sit on the tray, is this doable just with thicker tile adhesive or do I need to float the wall with something before tiling?

Alternatively I’d considered tiling flush to the walls as normal (which would bring thee edge of the tiles just behind the tray in the corner) but finishing with some sort of quadrant tile trim to ensure it sits on the tray and covers the gap.

I have a Mapei tanking kit so had planned to seal the gap between the wall and tray with the waterproof joint tape onto the edge of the tray and fill the void beneath this with silicone. Does this make sense?

Hope that’s clear, any advise appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That is not enough to even cause a worry, just start tiling at the tightest part and build the area with the gap out with more adhesive to keep the tray margin correct.

3. Ollie Mason

Ollie Mason Member

Thanks mate, that’s reassuring. How thick can you safely use tile adhesive onto cement board/tanking without concern?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just silicon the tray in well to the wall when you fit it and tile away as Jord says.

by the time you’ve got your adhesive on, the tile will lip on to the tray anyway. Neat bead of silicon when finished and jobs a goodun.

5. PawelM

PawelM Member

Even with plasterboard having around 35kg/m2 you shouldn't have any problems. Read product specs of your cement board but should be around 100-120kg/m2 - you're safe.
    Get yourself decent adhesive. Read back of the package and look for bed thickness. Normally large format tile adhesive will give you bed thickness up to 20mm

6. Ollie Mason

Ollie Mason Member

Great thanks mate