Mystery holes in walls

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Kindy, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Kindy

Kindy New Member

Hello, my parents house has some weird holes appeared above the skirting boards. I can't seem to attach a picture. The holes are about golf ball size and like a bullet has been fired through. They are along one internal wall which goes through the middle of the house. The holes are about 1.5m apart and also appear on both sides of the wall. It continues past a doorway as well. Can anyone advise what this is? There is a vertical crack in one bedroom above this said wall. The house is a main road and upstairs shakes as lorries go by. Thanks in advance.

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Not sure how you expect a response without us seeing a picture

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Has the house suffered subsidence and been underpinned? Could be remains of needles but rather small.

Could also conceivably be some form of damp treatment but that would generally be the external walls.

4. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

That's strange. How many holes are there?

5. Kindy

Kindy New Member

6. Kindy

Kindy New Member

Hiya, posted pics below. Not sure why the second one repeated several times.

7. Kindy

Kindy New Member

There are 2 on the hallway side of the wall. And also on the living room side. Also one past the door - both sides as well.

8. Kindy

Kindy New Member

It hasn't been underpinned. There is a crack in the room upstairs above the wall. Hopefully image attached. Not sure of that would be subsidence. Crack.jpg

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Remove the plaster where it's cracking to get a better look at what's there

10. Kindy

Kindy New Member

Thanks. Will try that.

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Mice have jackhammers?

12. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

possibly nail/screw pops?

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Missing Peruvian miners finally found!

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The crack is nothing to worry about by looks of it. As for the ‘holes’, just take plaster off to get a better look...will need filling back in anyway.

perhaps central heating pipes used to go through and just not filled in properly.

15. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Has anything been fixed to the other side of the wall, a new skirting board perhaps, could be the fixings poking through.

Astramax likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Whatever is fixed on the otherside of the wall is causing the problem as mentioned in the above post. The bulges are caused from a pushing action as indicated by the cracks.

TangerineDream likes this.
  17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

How old is the house?, the skirting looks very shallow, and zooming in on the first picture it doesn't look like plasterboard to me-colour wise.
    I have seen skirting this sort of size used on asbestos boards, maybe others here may have an opinion.