Flashband used instead of replacing defective tiles

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DarrenM1991, Jun 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DarrenM1991

DarrenM1991 New Member

Hi everyone, I would be extremely grateful for some advice regarding a leaking roof.

I live on the second floor of an old conversion building (there is a loft conversion flat above me).

I had some issues with water leaking into the corners of my bedroom right underneath my bay window ceiling. My dad, a chartered surveyor drove up 4 hours to inspect the problem and write a report. The report highlighted quite a few issues with the roof that needed repairing, but one of the main issues were defective/missing tiling on the bay window roof. He wrote a full report that instructed the contractor to replace all defective tiles.

Some roofers were brought in to do the job. However, after inspecting their work, it appears that their fix was to apply flashband tape rather than replacing the tiles. I raised this with the roofer who said that the tiles couldn't be matched so they repaired it with flashband and charged less. i am disappointed that they resulted to a quick fix rather than consulting us.

I just wanted to get a second opinion on whether this practise of flashband taping is in fact bad practise. I have attached a before and after shot.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Could be wrong, but they just look like Rosemary tiles to me, and you can get them anywhere.

Probably didn’t have the required skills or couldn’t be arsed!

3. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

That is not a roofer's work. Total bodge and BS explanation

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I hope you have not paid.

you entered into a contract for the builder to carry out some work for a price. That work has not been done so nothing is payable unless you agreed before the work was done to vary the contract.

think about it: you go to a Michelin star restaurant and select your meals. But they serve cod and chip and say they’ll charge you a reduced price. You’d walk out and tell them to get lost. This is no different

6. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

But I do love a good fish and chips :p:cool:.. but yeah agree with your point, dont settle for the job they have done. Refuse to pay as this is not what you asked for...

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Personally I prefer fish and chips to the over priced tarted up garbage that many of these places pass off as food!!

8. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

How did you go about selecting the contractor?
    Hopefully not on the basis of price only?