İs this gas safe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kaylan, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Kaylan

Kaylan New Member

The 22mm pipe on the left is a gas pipe and it has been left like this for a while. It’s by the door way. How could this pass as gas safe.

Attached Files:

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Who left it like that?

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

No 'Gas' label, no protection against the concrete lime for the copper pipe, I reckon no, but I am a sparkie not a gas fitter.

4. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. Looks to have been run in a chase which is supposed to have a "lid", but the lid is missing.
    2. Provided the copper is not in contact with concrete (or plaster) corrosion shouldn't be an issue.
    3. If assumption 1 is correct, its supposed to be out of sight, so no specific requirement for labelling, although it would certainly be good practice.

5. Kaylan

Kaylan New Member

Thanks Bob, my concerne is it has been like this for four years and people are stepping on it.
    Thanks Andy, I am wondering if it will pas a gas safe inspection?

6. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

There’s no requirement for gas pipework in domestic properties to be labelled, only in commercial. Obviously would be sensible for the duct to have a lid fitted to protect everything in there but a GSC fail? Probably not.

7. Kaylan

Kaylan New Member

Thank you for the info, as we have to step on and around it worrying as the previous pipe next to it had 3 fatigue (holes) and solder failure.

8. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

So was the ducting opened up to repair the other pipe but not made good? Is this a rented property?

9. Kaylan

Kaylan New Member

Yes and yes it is rented 4 years it has been like this

10. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

I’d be more concerned about the general hazard caused by the hole in the floor. If this is a rental, that is not a fit state - in my layman’s opinion - for a floor in accommodation. I wouldn’t be too nervous about the gas pipe, they’re quite robust. But I wouldn’t be letting my toddler go about a house in that state. Whether you have a toddler is immaterial. Im kind of assuming this is a rental and you’d like the landlord to arrange this is made good.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  11. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Where are you, England/Scotland/Wales? The rules differ. I’m no expert but there are rules about what your landlord must provide for you.

12. Kaylan

Kaylan New Member

Yes it is a rental property ms concern is if the pipe next to it had 3 pin head holes what is the likelihood that this one won’t.

13. Kaylan

Kaylan New Member

England

14. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

You’re not an expert and neither am I. But you have valid concerns about these exposed pipes. You’re concerned about a gas leak. I’m concerned about an unfinished floor affecting your health and safety. Have you discussed these concerns with your landlord? How did that go? Were they willing to investigate?

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  15. Kaylan

Kaylan New Member

No they are not interested :)

16. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Here you go: https://www.gov.uk/private-renting

As a tenant, you have the right to:

• live in a property that’s safe and in a good state of repair

Then take a look at the complaints section at the end. If you feel your landlord is not addressing your concerns, you need to contact your local authority.

In my very inexpert opinion I don’t think the exposed gas pipe is at a greater risk of leaking through pin holes than if it were buried. But I don’t believe it’s safe to have it exposed on a floor. It’s poorly installed and located and needs putting right in order to guarantee your health and safety.

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If your looking for that missing retaining clip from one of your downlights, it’s there down in the trench, straddling the gas pipe :)

What a tight wad, miserable Landlord - shocking way to treat tenants. Good luck in getting this sorted - totally unacceptable in so many ways

Muzungu likes this.
  18. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I'm disgusted with that.
    My wife is a landlady, and that landlord isn't interested in rectifying it is beyond belief!
    If you are renting through an agent have they been involved?

I'd say this is a prime case for getting your MP involved, if you have no further progress!

Good luck,

Cando

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

so its been like this for 4 years and it is rented property. So my question is, has this already been passed on gas safe inspection? if the landlord has not carried out the inspection the report to the council ( same with the electrical safety inspection btw)

20. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The sad fact is that despite the noble laws passed to protect tenants, if you make life difficult for the landlord you are likely to find yourself on an invisible 'trouble makers list' making it difficult for you to rent elsewhere. Your only option is to seek accommodation elsewhere and move out. Sorry you have a **** as a landlord it won't end well.