DIY kitchens design

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by LEH, Jun 16, 2021.

1. LEH

LEH Active Member

I've been playing around with DIY kitchen's planner software. Does the layout below look sensible or have I done anything daft or that could be improved?

Just to clarify there is an internal soil stack to the left that's not shown in the plans.

diy-kitchens-First_plan-2021-06-16 21 27.png Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 22.18.43.png

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If it was my kitchen, I wouldn’t put the washing machine next to the oven.

Hans_25 likes this.
  3. LEH

LEH Active Member

Where to put it though? I'm also not convinced having it on the right is great either as would have to have a standpipe with waste running behind the back to the stack on the left, but I'm a bit stumped where to put the washing machine.

CGN likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Always tricky. Ideally under the draining board, but don’t think you have the room.

(just a quick glance at plan)

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

you don’t need to have a ‘local’ stand pipe, just extend outlet hose, although there is often not much room between the back of an oven and the wall, so would have to route low level. For what it is, and aesthetically, it would look better on the right, or go integrated with a door.

just nit picking :)

I’m tired and had a glass or 2, I’m sure someone will come up with a light bulb moment

6. LEH

LEH Active Member

No, don't think that's going to work. Given that I don't think I can plumb behind the oven, the only place to put the WM seems to be directly to the left of the oven.

7. LEH

LEH Active Member

Yeah, appreciate can have an extension but it's quite a long way. Light bulb might be just move into a bigger house that's less awkward :)

CGN likes this.
  8. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Put washing machine where drainer currently is, move sink unit unit to right of where it is, and turn sink round so draining board is on the right.

Does that work.

Advantages are
    • drainer is in "awkward" corner
    • plumbing for sink and washer are near each other
    • easier to get washing machine in/out for maintainence
    No doubt I've overlooked something!

Good luck,
    Regards,
    Cando

Astramax likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Change to a R/H drainer and fit the washing machine next to the door, although an inset drainer won't interfere with the washing machine. What about an integral washing m/c if kept the same layout next to the sink, can you get a 600 cupboard in if you altered the base unit sizes.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I would suggest the same, but there is only a 900 unit by the door by the looks of it, meaning the sink would crossover onto the next run of units. Maybe a bit of nudge room though.

11. LEH

LEH Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I should say that there's no chance to change the washing machine, it's quite new and is a free-standing washing machine that takes up about 600mm. Don't think there's much chance of having it under the sink. It looks like I can probably run a waste pipe at plinth level, so it might well have to stay to the right of the oven.

Here's the present kitchen (excuse the mess) if that helps:

IMG_7556.jpg

12. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

move the washing machine to the end of the L, on the left hand side

Hans_25 likes this.
  13. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I think as I-Man says, if there is room then use a 600mm sink unit then put the washing machine to the left under the drainer finishing with end panel far left. For a 600mm W/M you'll need at least 620mm space. Plumbing will be more difficult otherwise.

Is the floor suspended or concrete? If suspended, have the option of running services/pipework underneath but make sure it doesn't leak or freeze!!

14. LEH

LEH Active Member

Thanks - I think unfortunately there isn't space - there's only 900mm. Bit of a moot point but I'd also be unclear how the worktop end would be supported - just by the end panel? Good point about services - it is suspended, but I think I can run above floor level in any case.

15. Fwiw I would put a 500 sink unit and extend to the left of sink 600 for the washing machine and an end panel to finish. Heres part of my diy kitchen plan.. I've gone for a smaller sink base unit too Screenshot_20210618-121918_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  16. LEH

LEH Active Member

Thanks. I just don't think there's space under the sink, 900 is the limit due to the door opening. Is the reason for not having the WM next to the oven just aesthetics or is there some other reason why not to do this? Because it hasn't bothered us so far. Putting it on the right as in the original design above rather than the current situation with it on the left gives a more balanced layout which is why I proposed that.