Can I mount a 85” inch tv

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dharon, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Dharon

Dharon New Member

I’ve got a 85” tv however my wall is plasterboard. It is soo annoying how new build houses are mainly plasterboard.

Is there a way I can put the tv on the wall, if so which products do I need.

I want to pay someone to do it, but I’m scared they might F… up my tv

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

it will be mounted on a bracket so just a case of the correct fixings.

3. Dharon

Dharon New Member

Do you know which fixings?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There are fixings now, specifically for dot and dabbed plasterboard and Screwfix sell them...just search. Decent screws and plugs will work, as will many other fixings, it just depends....

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

What is the weight of said Tv?

And what type of bracket are you hoping to use???

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That’s a big TV as no doubt you realise !!

Likely to be fitted to a big, chunky bracket also and as above, is the bracket a fixed type, flat to wall or your going for full tilt, swing and everything else ?

If the pull out type bracket, the forces placed upon fixings are much greater than a simple fixed to wall bracket so careful consideration is needed

Personally, I wouldn’t be relying on any type of plasterboard fixing alone for any type of bracket for a tv of that size

You need large coach screws into a solid surface - be it timber or brick

Is this a stud wall or plasterboard dot and dab over block / brick ?

If dot and dab, look at Corefix, these fixings are designed for this exact situation and made for this job

If stud wall, more work but, you wanna sleep tight at night ?

Cut out plasterboard where your fixing the bracket, with a tv that size, assuming the studs are spaced at 600mm centres, shouldn’t be a problem spanning across three studs at least but need this section larger than the fixing plate on bracket

Can either go for timber same depth as PB and skim so it finishes flush with wall, can neaten and paint and it’s behind tv anyway and screw into the 3-4 studs with decent wood screws

Or trim back the studs a little (multi tool good for this job) fit in 12mm ply and allow 9mm PB over this, tape edges and skim over all flush with wall

Before fitting ply with either of these methods, mark out where studs are and where bracket fixings are onto ply

If bracket fixings miss studs, then add timber behind ply and screw together - say offcuts of stud timber so the coach screws fix into at least 70mm of timber

Fix ply back to studs and pump in plenty of wood screws

Hope that makes sense ?
    Easier to do than to put into words

Loads more work yes, destruction and making good but is there any other reliable fixing method into PB alone when your hanging a giant TV ?

Let the forum know your decision

Tilt likes this.
  7. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

Hello

More information needed. Google your tv and you'll get the weight.

If you've got a bracket put it up where you want it and pencil some holes. Get a bradawl (dirt cheap if you aint got one) push through your marks it will make a tiny hole but you'll be able to see if you've got anything behind i.e wood or pure hollow. If hollow you'll be able to feel how much depth is behind.

Ideally you want wood but I've got a 55 on pure plasterboard it's been there for years. They are on hollow wall anchors where you use the gun tool to set them YouTube it. But they come in different depth so you need to make sure you'll be able to put it in the wall and set it. My wall only had 40mm depth so I got 37mm ones and was fine.

Is this tv going upstairs or down and is it an internal wall or external and Ideally what age is the house please. Above info is for if it was like a stud wall as that's what i got from your description.

If its a dot and dab wall then get some corefix plugs but you'll need a 10mm drill bit and be able to drill 100mm into the wall! Alternative you can double plug using something like the fischer duopower plugs in 6mm . Drill 6mm to the depth of 2 plugs put one in then lightly screw a screw in couple of turn and hammer right to the back of the hole take screw out put 2nd plug in then screw in BUT do not over tighten or you will crush the plasterboard. The first plug would be secured to your block and the 2nd plug is stopping the screw moving.

If your in medway Kent I can help you lol .

Get your hole making machine out and some filler lol

8. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

Just to add ppl worry about tvs but would have no problem putting up larger items that don't seem as heavy but are.

I've got an ikea metod kitchen cabinet must weigh more rhan my TV alone then the old girl has rammed it full of stuff. That's nearly ceiling height pure plasterboard. 34x34mm wood batten with 5 hollow wall fixings then the unit is slid over the wood and secured with wood screws.

YouTube search gosforthhandyman lots of videos covering fixings to wall types

9. sally green

sally green Active Member

The new flat screens lED are not as heavy as the plasma ones.
    My sister had a massive mirror ie 7 foot x about 4 feet with thick frame hung up on a plasterboard wall the fitter secured a plywood sheet large one behine the mirrow stuck with gripfil and heavy duty screws like these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeeFix-Pla...ocphy=9044989&hvtargid=pla-475162667007&psc=1

watch viewdo

then he used some other screws, looks solid but make sure you do get at least some screws into battons