Cleaning slabs?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Sarah Dasdemir, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Hi all

I got these slabs secondhand and have just laid and cleaned them. Will they come up any better if I clean them again and again?

im using swarfega and a stiff brush, leaving on for a few mins then hosing down.

Thanks 0D8FE590-7B3C-4A9D-B4DD-8561B8821FBB.jpeg 405254DC-D519-4887-80A4-B79FBBE18DF6.jpeg

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve got the same cleaner for my driveway and was enticed by the brand name Swarfega,as used their hand cleaner for years with great success

However - haven’t been so impressed with this product and have had same cleaning results over the years with hot water and Tesco washing up liquid !

You really need a decent jetwash machine then can clean the slabs with nothing else other than water

Many machines have a bottle to add cleaning chemicals into the water jet but always worth trying with good old plain water first

It’s amazing what just water and pressure can clean

Will be difficult to achieve a good result with a hand brush, elbow grease and a hose

What type of base have you laid them on ?

If just sand - need to be careful that copious amounts of water (under pressure) doesn’t wash the base away)

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You require Sodium Hypochlorite @50% mix, wet slabs and use a stout broom brush head and working the solution into the slabs keeping it wet (do not let it dry) for a couple of hours and the rinse off with a power hose. Will remove all the black algae and other contaminants. Wear suitable safety protection ie vinyl gloves, mask and eye protection. Plenty of vids on YouTube.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Sarah Dasdemir likes this.
  4. Thank you for your reply, they are sitting on solid earth, then I put more earth down and tampered, then a good layer of sand and then tampered down again.

I’ve scrubbed them down twice with that stuff but I’m all pooped out now.

I borrowed the neighbours jet wash but I couldn’t be arsed to get it out but when I have the energy I will get it out and try fairy liquid

thanks again

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use commercial cleaners not DIY rubbish.

6. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Hi Astramax, any idea where I could buy Sodium Hypochlorite? I have the same issue either dirty slabs.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I bought 20 litres from ebay with delivery included in cost. Few good video's on YouTube well worth a look for tips and techniques. Cleaned my 30 year old drive up to near as new condition. It's bleach only it is circa 15% strength rather than the household bleach which is circa 4% strength.

spannerw likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It is not expensive and goes a long way.

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Box of non bio washing powder and yard brush with warm water. Nothing with bleach imo. Done myself many times
    Bleach can burn slab colour and pet paws.

Creek likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Does the Bio shift the black spots with ease?

11. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Why non bio? Doesn't bio remove stains better?

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you seen the state of Wayners bib and brace? :p

Wayners likes this.
  13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Bleach in bio vs non bio.. Bleach effects colour and pets paws ect so I heard. Some wash slabs with bleach. Guess pool sides do fine with it so maybe I'm wrong