Would you object to routine Covid testing?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Jun 19, 2021.

?

Would you object to routine Covid testing?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Following attempts by a company I work with to get contractors testing for Covid every week, I was curious as to what the response on here would be

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Test away. What's the problem. My son was testing twice a week for collage. I'd be happy to take a test. Good excuse to sit and drink tea while results are counted. Ha

3. BiancoTheGiraffe

One of the problems is that they are catastrophically inaccurate, but could lead to you being kicked off site without pay.

4. It is more nuanced than that. When the prevelance of the virus is low, the chance of a false positive increases.

The LFT test is less accurate that a PCR done in a lab, but still better than not having one.

The absolute best thing is to get vaccinated with both doses.

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

Not until I need it mate, or the trials finish and the long term data is analysed.

I'm 39 and healthy, but I agree with you that people should certainly consider it if they're 50+ or have health conditions.

CGN likes this.
  6. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

I'm totally opposed to testing, the whole concept of Test Trace & Isolate is effectively useless against COVID. T.T.I. as a concept is well over 100 years old, and is effective at rapidly bringing down epidemics of diseases such as Cholera and Ebola, that spread slower, but nearly always cause symptomatic illness within a short timeframe.

Covid is highly transmissible, but has a huge range of symptoms from none to death, and a long incubation period. This has lead to it being endemic, like the flu and the common cold, it's out there. If you test for it you will find it, the more you test, the more you find, same would apply to the common cold.

Thing is, the only real issue is with the cases that need medical treatment - the rest don't matter, yes they cause variation, but every case results in thousands of minor variations, you can't stop that.

There are 3 ways forward

1/. we all stay at home forever, go bust, get depressed etc..

2/. use vaccine to minimise cases that need medical treatment

3/. develop therapeutics to treat those cases the vaccine misses

in 15 months we've got to stage 2, bloomin good going in reality, but therapeutics are much more difficult to develop than vaccines. Vaccines basically work the same way as Edward jenners first attempt in 17 hundred and something, and there was a wealth of research on SARS already. Developing and testing therapies will take years.

In the meantime we have to get on with life. The thing that irritates me is that 15 months in an no permanent adaptation that make practical sense have been put in place. 100 years back, every large town had a sanitorium or infectious disease hospital, and yet we are still treating Covid patients in the regular hospitals and closing them down to everything else - one of my customers is a surgeon, he has spent most of the last year on furlough because all his ops are cancelled - the NHS is under pressure, but only one part of it.

Its been obvious since day one that this will be sticking around, and we are stuck between scientists who can only crunch numbers and state the problem and politicians who keep hoping the problem will just go away!

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Had Covid marshalls around the other week asking me if I would take a testing kit.

She was taken back when I refused. Her numpty partner wearing a high viz and mask on a beautiful summers day was also perturbed.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  8. BiancoTheGiraffe

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Let’s just vaccinate everyone if they need it or not! :rolleyes:

Starslikedust likes this.
  10. BiancoTheGiraffe

With something that is still under trials and which they have no long term data for.

CGN likes this.
  11. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I self test twice weekly and it's started to become unpleasant. Just the thought of poking that stick into my throat makes me retch. So, I wouldn't welcome compulsory routine testing but for now will continue to follow my own routine for peace of mind.

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Exactly. Absolute joke.

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

With positive flow tests they should do a second one to be sure. They normally show clear quickly although you have to wait 30mins. Positive is much slower to show I heard. I know loads that have used and not one has showed positive yet. My son has taken 20+ and all clear

14. Tony Goddard

I've had the vaccine, and fingers crossed, but.. there is something called ADE, Antibody Developed Enhancement, basically it has happened in past attempts at vaccines that antibodies formed from one strain, can then enable another strain to access cells better with pretty dire consequences.

This happened with a Dengue Fever Vaccine and a prototype common cold Rhinovirus vaccine, both of which had to be scrapped.

To be clear, those in the know don't think it is possible with this vaccine because it only models part of the virus, where older vaccines used the whole virus - I'm still for it, as its the only solution at present, I figure the risk/reward is worth it.

15. Tony Goddard

I can't see why you can't derive the samples from blowing your nose on a tissue and picking up some of the wet mucus from the tissue or lower nostril, and likewise bringing some phlegm forward into your mouth. The sample wouls still derive from the upper nasal cavity and very back of throat without ramming a baby bud up there!

goldwise likes this.
  16. Tony Goddard

Whilst I'm having a moan - an asbestos particle is s small as approx 1 micron in diameter, a covid particle in an aerosol droplet is approx 1 micron in diameter. On which basis the same filter will filter both.
    I can walk round the supermarket in my asbestos mask no worries nowt goes in.
    but they wouldn't let me on a demolition site with asbestos in a blue face nappy as protection.
    I struggle to understand how on the one hand a twin filter respirator is needed to stop someing 1 micron going in, but apparently my old pants are going to stop 1 micron going out therefore protecting everyone else - it's magic!!

17. techie

techie Screwfix Select

It must depend on the state of the old pants Tony…..

Tony Goddard likes this.
  18. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

If you are 39, fit and healthy, why are you worried about long term effects of the jab?
    Whats bothering you about potentially protecting other people which maybe at a higher risk than you??
    This isnt about an individual. This is about everyone. If people, such as you, are opposed to the jab and or masks etc. I supoose thats your freedom of speech and right to refuse etc...
    Will all anti jab/anti maskers sign up to the 'i waive my nhs treatment' should i get sick??

RolandK likes this.
  19. BiancoTheGiraffe

Oh for god sake, not that "waive rights to NHS treatment" rubbish!

1. I've paid tax and national insurance for 23 years, I'll use the NHS if I need it... You wouldn't be telling people they shouldn't have treatment for severe flu if they hadn't had the flu jab, just as you don't tell people they can't have medical care because they smoke, or do dangerous sports

2. No-one knows the long term effects of the jab, or who they affect. A 26 year old lad at a company I work with died three days after his vaccination with blood clots. I reserve the right to wait until the trials are over!

3. If other people are vaccinated, how on earth does it matter if I haven't?! Being jabbed doesn't mean you can't carry or pass on Covid (which in the eyes of many in the medical world means it's not a true "vaccine" in the first place!)

Terry Perkins 2 likes this.
  20. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Fair points. Was just interestedin your thought process on it all