Is this shoddy skirting board work

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Lisaf, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Lisaf

Lisaf New Member

I had rising damp, they had to replace skirting boards. But not only did they rip the main box off the wall that leads to the telephone lines outside, the plaster has crumbled. And I feel the work done was rushed and he obviously couldn't have cared less. I rang the manager and they said he was great. If this is great then I think they need to look at their staff. I am beyond upset and now he has probably cost me double the work as when the skirtimg board come off, the plaster will come off and need re doing. How on earth is this work good. Please tell me if I am wrong

Attached Files:

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

That's rough...:(

3. Peter Burrows

Peter Burrows Member

Shocking work! A Rushed job, not even tried to do it properly.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Pointless ranting and venting without giving context and a wider picture to the scenario. It's not an A* job by any means but once everything is painted, gaps filled and box screwed back on the skirting it will look a hell of a lot better than the pictures show. Not a lot a carpenter can do when the sockets are that low down.

5. Peter Burrows

Peter Burrows Member

You shouldn't have to fill the gaps.... I know its not a massive job to do but it's a unessesary job which wouldn't have to be done if the timber was cut accurately.... or why didn't the carpenter fill them.

But do agree that the sockets are crazy low.... we have just done a big extension and mine are now 400mm from the floor.

6. LeonWiddicombe

LeonWiddicombe Active Member

I mean, there is a big enough gap to get your finger in under that socket which is pretty dangerous. This wasn't a "carpenter" surely? I can DIY it better than that, a pro should be much neater.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Forget the skirting and low socket positions.....no one has picked up the gap for the laminate floor to float! :confused:

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Apart from the obviously low position of sockets making it awkward to fit skirting, it doesn’t look a total disaster (when viewed on my phone)

Pic 1. Box needs securing to wall. Either notch out skirting so box fits flush to wall or change phone cable entry point so box sits on top of skirting, flush to wall

Pic 2. Yes clearly, too much timber was removed from skirt, does look like a rush job or lack of care as not the most difficult of measurements to take. Piece in new piece of timber, lick of filler, sand, will be invisible

Pic 3. As 1

Pic 4. Yes, a piece of timber could have been fitted under socket and glued in

Worst crime in my opinion is running silicone along tops to walls - big problem when you come to paint as paint won’t stick to silicone

Either caulk or frame sealant (acrylic) but that looks like silicone to me so will need cutting out when decorating

Whoever will be painting, it’s a couple hours extra work to tackle the above

Really don’t think that the skirting needs coming off and replacing here - just not necessary

The carpenter can’t do anything about the socket positions, doubt he’s even allowed to unscrew the faceplates to work around

Perhaps speak to the manager again and see if he’s prepared to rectify the gaps under sockets at least. I would also mention the incorrect use of silicone as that’s just plain stupid by the carpenter (happy to stand corrected if not silicone but looks very white to me and silicone like)

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Lisaf, your not wrong it's not the best of jobs, it is lacking thought in conception resulting in a below par finish.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

And have the internal corners been mitred or scribed !! Always one for debate :)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That is no work of a carpenter, I wouldn't let that guy hold a piece of wood let alone cut it! :(

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Deffo mitred hence the filler bodge....sorry cover up!

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Im not disagreeing with you but it can be made to look better with not too much extra work. It's not very constructive to rip into a photograph online stating how bad things are when in reality the majority of it can be saved or touched up to an acceptable standard. There are far too many folk who use these forums (mostly diyers, but not all) who straight away jump on the attack how bad a photograph is, they could do far better, sack the charlatan, report him, take a contract out on him etc etc but they aren't too quick to offer up a solution, remedy or few hints and tips on how to salvage a mess. It's far easier to criticise anonymously behind the keyboard than it is to step up and pitch in with real advice.

Abrickie likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Come on Jord would you turn that standard of work out as acceptable ...I think not, yes I agree it needs tidying up but the op has paid hard earned for it to be done to his satisfaction and it clearly isn't. Constantly on this forum people post examples of poor workmanship from all trades which p isses me off as I have always endeavoured to do what has been asked for, so much so that someone said to me that I was the only tradesman they had used that had actually managed to get the idea that was in her head to my fingertips exactly producing what she asked to be done.

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No of course I wouldn't but it's not beyond saving is the point I'm labouring, I agree with you that there's some real shat posted up on a regular basis that is an embarrassment to the person who created it, but it can't be positive for the OP(s) to read posts that only state how bad it is rather than giving decent advice. Unfortunately good skilled tradesmen are rare and get forgotten about in the swamp of cack ones.

16. LeonWiddicombe

LeonWiddicombe Active Member

Sort of see what you are saying, but I think it is natural for people to expect a certain standard from professionals (if this was!). Fully aware as a DIY'er I don't have answers, I come here looking for help and tips off professionals :) I used to be a painter by trade, so perhaps am a bit sensitive to "that can be saved with X,Y and Z".... tons of chippy's and plasterers lean on that way too hard