Nosing for chequer plate fire escape?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dvddvd, Jun 21, 2021.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

A mate has an air bnb property which has access up a chequer plate fire escape.

At present its painted in black paint.

He slipped and fell on it so as asked me to make it less slippery.

I was going to repaint it all in a non slip paint.

He saw a picture of one that had the nosing painted a different colour which he said would help instead of been all black.

I told him it would be a pain to paint a 30mm nosing on each tread with it been chequer plate so found some none slip GRP nosings in yellow grit finish that could be stuck on each tread.

Not sure how they would stick with been chequer plate? but a lot easier than drilling each one and using self tappers though the steel treads.

Any suggestions?

2. Redvee

Redvee New Member

MS Polymer adhesive & Tek screws would be recommended - should be no need to predrill the chequer plate though.

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I think the chequer plate is the steel version?

4. Redvee

Redvee New Member

You can get tek screws that will fix into 6mm chequer plate, but if you are fitting something to the top of an existing tread, you need to be careful that you're not creating a lip or a trip hazard for someone walking down the stairs - depends on the thickness of your nosing strip I assume.
    It might be easier and better to go with your anti-slip paint on all the treads and then spray the nosings yellow afterwards if you want a contrast - just mask off the area.

5. Redvee

Redvee New Member

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

It is often a requirement of a fire risk assessment that nosings are a contrasting colour to stand out and aid safe evacuation.

7. Redvee

Redvee New Member

Agreed, if using the tape, use the yellow tape, or the black/yellow hazard pattern on the nosings to make them stand out.