Disintegrated air baffle (?) in megaflo indirect cylinder

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by N Cowell, Jun 30, 2021.

1. N Cowell

N Cowell New Member

We have an indirect megaflo cylinder, installed in 2007. Recently we have had to drain the system for various projects and each time we have had low hot water flow and then low pressure on hot and cold on several outlets. (The air gap was regenerated each time). The plumber has found white particles clogging the tap outlets and concluded the air baffle in the cylinder has disintegrated. How often do you find this fault and is it a problem unique to megaflo? I need to get a new cylinder and I would like one that lasts .. I thought megaflo were long lasting! Recommendations for good long lasting cylinders please!!
    Thanks for all advice

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I like to fit the Vaillant Unistore cylinders, good warranty on them as well

3. N Cowell

N Cowell New Member

Thanks dave

4. Parc

Parc New Member

I had a customer with the same problem, she contacted megaflo who replaced it it free of charge think the cylinder was about 10 years old, worth a phone call.

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I’m fairly certain they have a 25 year warranty, so a call would be my first option.
    But I would have a look in a toilet cistern to see if there are any white bits in there. You would then be fairly sure if it is clean that the particles are from the hot side.

EDIT: did the plumber check the inlet filter on the tank?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Recently had an Ariston Indirect replaced that was 22 years old, partly my own fault as I had ignored the anode replacement over the last 5 years.............(the hot water has a terrible metallic odour to it).

7. N Cowell

N Cowell New Member

Thanks Parc .. I have been in touch with megaflo, but we haven’t had it serviced each year, so they say it is not covered (not sure how a service would prevent or even identify the problem tbh).

8. N Cowell

N Cowell New Member

Ah - interesting .. didn’t check the cisterns. Wouldn’t we see bits in the bowl after flushing? I don’t know if they checked the inlet valve - will ask - thank you.

9. N Cowell

N Cowell New Member

Anyone got an opinion on OSO cylinders? I’m looking at replacements.. megaflo always get recommended but I’m wary of them now. OSO seems to do A rated cylinders

10. N Cowell

N Cowell New Member

that sounds like a long lasting cylinder- thanks