No cold water going to boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mark1980, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Mark1980

Mark1980 New Member

Hi everyone,

The heating system had been drained by "a plumber" after doing some pipework. He never filled the system back up and just took off. Even claimed that he did this on purpose.
    I tried to filled it back up. Turned the filling loop but nothing happened. I don't hear the noise of the water going in neither the pressure gauge is moving. Boiler showing F1 low pressure error.
    Main water is on but nothing happens.
    What could he have done that there is no water coming to he system?
    Thank you in advance

2. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Have you turned on both taps on the filling loop?

3. Yeah most filling loops have two taps. Put a pic up if u can. Very strange he took off without filling and I’d be very cautious when filling back up. I hope u haven’t paid him?

Cliff Rees likes this.
  4. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

What reason did he have for not filling? How did he test his work without filling.

If you proceed yourself, only allow a small amount of water in at a time, and have an assistant watching (and listening for hissing) the new pipe work.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

seem like one side of a story ?

7. Dotti

Dotti New Member

I had a similar thing happen last year - after doing a GSC & service, he left the valves in the wrong position so I had to repressurise after.

If you can't hear water, try (carefully!) unscrewing the filling loop to see if water is coming through. Have a bucket handy.

One of my plastic valve handles broke last week so wasn't filling the loop - if you have handles, try unscrewing and operating the valve with a screwdriver. (With mine, you turn the right side on and there's a jolt as the water comes through, then you open the left.)

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/no-water-coming-through-filling-loop-of-boiler.241945/

8. Mark1980

Mark1980 New Member

He didn't check his work and never came back.
    I found that he connected the pipe to a dead pipe!
    I fixed that issue and reconnected the pipes correctly.
    Now the boiler is filling up with water but the pressure won't rise.

9. How long have u been filling it, bear in mind the pressure won’t rise for a little while as you are probably trying to fill the whole system. Keep checking for leaks where the plumber has worked. Other than that vent radiators one at a time, start on the ground floor and work up. Always helpful if u can have one person on the filling loop regulating that and one person doing the venting.

10. Mark1980

Mark1980 New Member

Hi,
    Well I paid him partially and he did a really shot job tbh. Sad that there are still people like this out there.
    He fitted the pipe to a dread pipe, so obviously there was no water to the boiler. I've sorted that out now. But the pressure is not rising. I can hear the water though.

11. Mark1980

Mark1980 New Member

So if I open the filling loop first and then go and let all the air out of the radiators?
    Thank you so much

12. Yes.
    If u have anyone there to help the best thing to do is leave them at the filing loop and tell them not to let the pressure go above say 1bar whilst filling, that means u can vent the radiators without the worry u are over-pressurising system.
    If u are on your own I would open the filling loop, let some water in then close it and go and vent and repeat as necessary, will take a bit longer but you don’t really want to leave the filling loop open whilst your not at the boiler.
    At work I have a filling loop with a pressure reducing valve in the middle set to 1.5 bar so I can leave the valves on safe in the knowledge it will never go above that whilst I’m filling.

13. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Which pipes was the dodgy plumber working on? Be careful of refilling if there’s potential for an open end somewhere!

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  14. This is the difficult thing in his situation isn’t it, u would expect it to take a little while to start pressurising but there is always the worry that the water is just being lost somewhere.
    The best thing to do is take it slow, and check everything that’s been worked on as best u can

15. Mark1980

Mark1980 New Member

Cheers,
    I have done this now like you said. Pressure is still on 0.and the F1 error is also still on display. No leaks that I can see.

16. Mark1980

Mark1980 New Member

All the leaks I've spotted I fixed. Can't see any other leaks.
    What I've spotted now is: the main water goes to a t section, one to the boiler and the other one goes to the shower mixer. Would that be an issue, having it split?

17. How long u opening the filling loop for? Like I said it takes a while for the pressure to rise.
    Also not sure on your exact setup but could it be the valves to the boiler are closed so that’s not showing any pressure increase?

18. No that shouldn’t be an issue

19. Mark1980

Mark1980 New Member

I would say about 5 min I leave them open.
    I can hear the water going in, but after a bit the noise stops.

20. Mark1980

Mark1980 New Member

Attached Files: