Plumber gone AWOL

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jambo308, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Jambo308

Jambo308 New Member

We're currently renovating our flat, and have had some plumbing work done, including having a new unvented electric cylinder installed. We're currently getting everything signed off by our BCO and need to get the certification for the boiler install. Trouble is that the plumber has gone AWOL and isn't returning any of our messages or calls. Real shame cos he did a good job on it all.

Does anyone have any advice on how we go about getting the work certified? If we can't get hold of him, is this something another plumber can do in retrospect?

Cheers in advance!

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

have you paid him? if not withholding payment might galvanise a response.

3. Jambo308

Jambo308 New Member

Unfortunately, yeah. We paid him straight away as the work all looked great - he said he'd send over the certification so we could activate the warranty and send to our BCO, but then just went completely quiet.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Perhaps he's unwell?

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Or not qualified to work on unvented systems….

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sorry....sick with worry!

7. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

When I register a boiler it’s all done through the manufacturer - they register the warranty and forward details to the local authority and a certificate automatically gets delivered to the customer (or installer) a few weeks later. You could call the manufacturer to see if it’s been registered with them.

8. Jambo308

Jambo308 New Member

It's been over a month now, so I'm guessing even if he was to begin with, he's now just avoiding us...

9. Jambo308

Jambo308 New Member

Hopefully that's not the case. I know for a fact he was previously working for Pimlico Plumbers (that's how we originally found him), but I'm getting concerned that there's something going on. Do you know if we can get another plumber to check his work and get everything signed off?

10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

whether he worked for them or not he need the hold the G3 cert to install or work on unvented. I doubt you will get anyone else to certify the install if they didn't install it

have a chat with your BCO, explain the situation and ask what they would accept here

Jambo308 likes this.
  11. Jambo308

Jambo308 New Member

Ok great, I'll give that a go and see how we get on!

12. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Try using a different phone to ring him, just in case he's blocked yours.

Astramax likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Well worth a try, 'One Hundred and Eighty'! ;)

14. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

o_Oo_O

15. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    i may be in error to say this, but i have a feeling the G3 ticket is to allow the holder to install unvented cylinders.
    and self certify, to the local building control. if you are a plumber, don't have G3, you must get Building control to sign it off, (for a fee of course) !
    its not a question of can't install if no G3, but you must involve BC
    good luck
    peter

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  16. When I sat the g3 they mentioned notification, to self certify with gas safe or napit I had to send them my G3 & part L energy efficiency. If I was to not have napit self certification for non gas installations, I would be able to notify BC 30 days prior to work commencing sending them a copy of my G3 along with planned works. So G3 is needed to notify bc

17. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    i wouldn't dispute what you say.
    it's just that's the way i understand it.

This means:

• you don’t have to get a local council or private approved building inspector to check your work
    • your customers benefit from lower prices as there are no building control fees
    Membership is voluntary - you can still use local council or private inspectors if you prefer.

Scheme operators and installers must follow certain rules to comply with building regulations. Find out about how schemes are authorised and the rules members must follow.

from .gov site
    good luck
    peter