Brake pads and discs - dealer prices

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by goldwise, Jul 7, 2021.

1. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

When main dealer serviced & mot'd car, recommended new pads & discs to front & rear.
    Quote was around £750 inc labour.

Not urgent so left it with intention to shop around.

Is it sensible to have the work done elsewhere to save money, or better to stick to dealer who will service and mot it next time as I have a service contract?

The parts are 'invisible' to me, so couldn't be certain anywhere else would use genuine parts. And dealer could 'find' a problem with what's been done when I go back to them.

Just seems a lot of money! I did get a quote from a competitor main dealer and their figure was identical-ish.

Any thoughts?

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

If you have a service contract then the chances are your car is under warranty! Although in theory car manufacturers or their agents cannot withhold warranty if work was done by an independent, to the same standard using manufactures approved parts, they can always find faults to deny you. They know that it’s unlikely you will use legal remedies .

check how much the genuine parts are? Change of disks and pads should be around 30mins per corner max. The difference in costs between a main dealer and independent is in Labour but using pattern parts can make a huge saving but leaving you open to loss of warranty.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

What car is it?

4. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Thanks for your good advice. I bought the car new 5 years ago and the main warranty was for 3 years. I renewed the service plan for 3 years when the first one ran out.

I've bought my cars from the same dealer for 25 years and until last year it was a local family firm, though quite a big concern. The owner sold his company to a national chain. That's made me hesitant. Their call centre seemed hard sell. Maybe it's not as urgent as they suggest. It passed the MOT this time...

Anyway, labour is 2 hrs at £85+vat per hr. I think the total cost should be around £500. So I'm more likely to get genuine parts for the extra £250 and what price is peace of mind worth?

Sometimes you just have to trust and accept things.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

?
    Audi?

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Service contract is unlikely to cover wear and tear parts like pads and discs.

£750 is insane, tell them where to go.

Look up the part prices yourself on Euro Car Parts, they're usually the cheapest around (look for the standard discount code)

7. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

No not Audi. Sorry, prefer not to name the make.

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

Why on earth?!

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Must be a beemer then?

10. BiancoTheGiraffe

I understand the embarrassment then!

jonathanc and Astramax like this.
  11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

At that price I'd be expecting a 911.

12. AnotherTopJob

It's easy enough to get a price for OEM branded parts at a local motor factor, then add about 1.5 hours labour.

13. Johnik

Johnik Member

14. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

probably a Vauxhall Astra!

seriously though :750 could be a rip off or dirt cheap depending on the vehicle. If the OP won’t say what it is, can’t help them

longboat and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  15. BiancoTheGiraffe

Yeah, it's very strange they won't say...

16. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

My BMW 530GT is 2k for discs and pads all round plus new fluid. Just to put it in perspective.

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The new pads and discs, are these a verbal recommendation from the service desk or did the work appear on the separate MOT Advisory Sheet ?

Could possibly be ‘up-selling’ and although these parts do wear out during the vehicles life and are expected to do so, there could be several thousand miles left in them so may as well get your monies worth out of the original parts

Even if on the Advisory Sheet, the MOT tester can sometimes be a little ‘trigger happy’

18. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I had a Peugot 307 estate that the tyre fitters told me needed new disks. 100k miles and 2 mot's later they were still going.

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I suppose its a case of what you know.
    The garage I've used for years for most routine servicing/repairs charges a very reasonable price, but I have witnessed them charging other (not in the know) customer's a far higher rate.
    Like all trades, you charge what the customer is happy to pay.

20. AnotherTopJob

With alloy wheels it's usually easy to see the disc and pad condition through the gaps.
    Feel for a noticeable wear lip at the outer edge of the disc. Anything more than a few mm is likely to require replacement, but unless severe they will normally be fine until the pads need replacing.