Flexi hose where mains supply comes into house

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Catch22jones, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Catch22jones

Catch22jones New Member

I've just had a new stop tap put in and because of the awkward position of the copper pipe, the plumber has removed a section of it and used a flexi hose instead. This is at the point where the mains supply comes into the house.

I've seen some negative things about flexi hoses, so would appreciate your opinion on whether this is a good set up! The stop tap has also been installed after the flexi hose (which seems like an odd choice to me, because I would have to turn off the water from the street if there was ever a problem with the flexi).

Is it worth me getting someone else in to put in copper pipe instead? Image of set up here: https://imgur.com/gallery/9FWDeuy

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Looks rough to me, a very DIY type of result from a lazy plumber. I would not leave a job like that and I am not a plumber (electrician). Have you paid yet?

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Megga bodge! He calls himself a plumber!
    OK as a DIY temp first aid job, but it needs doing in copper or at a pinch in proper plastic (lego plumbing to my mind) proper copper is the way to go in my view and try to get the stopcock controlling it too.;)

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

OMG!!!
    Worse use of a flexi I`ve seen.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Don’t get much worse than that.
    Pathetic attempt.
    Temporary repair at best.

6. Catch22jones

Catch22jones New Member

I thought as much!

He came initially to do the kitchen tap, but he sprayed water everywhere so offered to do the stop tap (which I'd asked for an additional quote for) for free. So luckily I only paid for the tap and not for this too.

If I'd know what he was planning on doing, I would have left it. The stop tap was seized, but have bought a tool for the outside supply.

Thank you for the advice all! Will definitely get someone else in. If anyone knows good plumbers in Leeds, would be happy for the recommendation!

7. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Definitely replace the flexi. As well as being a weak point, it's probably restricting flow too.
    I can see why the angle of the incoming pipe makes it awkward, but to do it properly in copper should be an everyday job for a plumber.

8. I’m not a hater of flexis when used as tap connectors, but Jesus that’s really bad! Needs taking out and hard piping. Sort of thing u would do as a temporary repair certainly not permanent

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

bound to fail.... change it for coppper!

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

An Air Force** special.

Did he ask you to feed his horse whilst doing it?

** R A F - Rough As F.....

11. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

That is truly awful.

A less worse bodge would have been to put the flexi after the stopcock and use a longer one so the bend was gentler.

Muzungu likes this.
  12. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Exactly, at least when it bursts you would be able to shut it off!

13. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Speed fit would have been way better too…

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  14. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Chances are that was a straight bit pipe with the old valve on it.
    Probably guess that there’s no movement on the pipe that’s why he used a flexi.
    But we all know such small issues are easily overcome.

15. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

To paraphrase Greg Wallace "Plumbing doesn't get rougher than this".