Washing machine

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by simbad, Jul 11, 2021.

1. simbad

simbad Member

Hi guys, just wanted to ask a little diy advice if I may? Cut a long story short, we have a problem with our washing machine being disgustingly smelly!! I installed it into the garage into a sink waste trap under the sink. The hose from the washer comes out of the bottom of the machine vertically to about half way where it is clipped to it and the pipe goes over to the sink where I have put the plastic u bend on the hose that come with the washer and then attached to the sink. The smell has got worse and worse to the point where I’m not sure weather I can continue to use it anymore. This is the second washer this has happened to and wanted to ask you guys if I am doing something wrong with the drainage at all? Is there anything out there that will get rid oc the smell? I’ve tried using the clean cycle of the machine monthly but no avail. Also tried washing machine cleaner but no good, as a last resort might try bleach but that concerns me with clothes going in. Is there anything out there that will get rid of this vile smell? Don’t wanna throw it as it’s 2-3 years old and the same happened with the last machine! Can you guys recommend anything please?

many thanks

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Can you post photos of the current set up so we can see better and have you tried the boil wash with no clothes in just the washing tablets..

3. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

It's a very modern problem sinbad are these smelly washing machines.
    I was told by a washer repair man that it's the result of modern low temperature washing combined with using a liquid detergent which apparently causes a smelly bio' scum to form on the inside of the drum.
    Try putting a machine cleaner through it on a boil wash with nothing else in it and we then reverted back to using a washing powder instead of a liquid and there hasn't been a problem with any more smelly washing since.

4. simbad

simbad Member

Have tried a boil was but no avail unfortunately, in the old washer I tried soda crystals but I pretty sure that’s what killed my drum bearing!! Many thanks for your reply guys, I have uploaded a couple of pics and I hope you can see?

thanks

Attached Files:

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Show us a pic of the trap and it's connection to waste pipework.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Always had a smell from our
    machine and I think calgon is the answer. So far it is. Drum and rubber is clean now and no smell.
    With ours though it turned out to be elastic band slowing motor fan (pump) shine light in the filter hole and check the fan turns by spinning fan while your there. Ours was slow pumping adding to sludge build up. Omg the smell.
    Buy big packs of calgon ( sainsburys have for £10) but you can get 70+ tabs for same money online. It's great stuff and will also help remove smell and stop mould. Wish I knew this years ago.

Also read instructions for machine and see how to run cleaning cycle (every 3 months) and maybe add washing machine cleaner as well. It's the slime and mould created by low temperature washes and liquid soaps causing this smell. It's terrible but ours is fixed now we use calgon. They say powder is better for less smell but not what we use. Calgon is the answer though...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  7. simbad

simbad Member

Thanks, often wondered about that stuff, will give it a go as it’s worth a try. Do you use that as a cleaner or as detergent for your clothes? Many thanks

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Calgon in with clothes and your cleaning liquid.

Cleaner you can buy from supermarket and run machine on cleaning cycle empty (see instructions)

9. simbad

simbad Member

Hope you can see the photo ok of the 2 traps?

Attached Files:

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The white ,flexible ,overflow pipe ,which is just above the washing machine waste pipe ,appears to be discoloured ,maybe holding crud. Take it apart ,check to see if it is ,and if it smells. If it does that would filter thru into the washing machine.

11. simbad

simbad Member

Just had a quick look and the overflow and washer connection seems ok, there was a small amount of gunk but nothing really, and not very smelly. the sink and all connections is all newish, only installed it just before Christmas and it’s only there for use as a utility. But I then thought about just getting a new hose but thought I’d just check the old one first. Tipped up washer and pulled it off and again a little gunk and not smelly, removed the sump for the drum and same again so it just seems it’s from whatever is going on in the drum and old washing gel/dirt! Wiped again around rubber seal at the from of the drum but all clean and not smelly. So something in the drum needs cleaning! Will try some of that Calgon but maybe just a case of a new drum or washer

terrymac likes this.
  12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You will be fine after a few washes with calgon bunged in. Takes a few run through to clean it.
    I also wiped paper towel around the rubber door seal a few times but now smell has gone and it's clean I've not bothered with it.

terrymac likes this.
  13. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Some great tips here, has helped ours

14. simbad

simbad Member

Thank you, will try and get some of that white vinegar, is that in the cleaning isle maybe as I tried to look for it before by couldn’t find it. I poured in half a bottle of bleach last night and run on a 90 degree wash then a cleaning Clyde and a couple of rinse washes and has made a huge difference. When I go shopping I’ll get some vinegar and calgon bung that in and hopefully will do the trick!

15. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

The Mrs tried some vinegar instead of softener said the towels came out a treat.. Just used bog standard white distilled. Amazon sell Jockers in 5 litre bottles.. Which is supposed to be great.

16. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Could there be dirty water sitting in the ‘drooping’ hose going across from washing machine to trap. If it’s left awhile between washes could that water start smelling. Any way that discharge pipe can just go up further then down into waste trap so not water lying in pipe going across.

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use jokers vintage for cleaning 2-1 as I have a Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Some right tack that stuff and like kryptonite. Bet there are loads here that allergy too and don't know but another subject. I can't touch washing machine liquid or washing up liquid plus paints and pva at work are a problem for me. Oh well.

As for cleaning washing machine cheap thin bleach is good. White vinegar is OK but you need plenty of it.