Partition wall made entirely from plasterboard without any studs!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Johnathon444, Jul 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Johnathon444

Johnathon444 New Member

I am retiling my bathroom and, as it was a mess from removing the old tiles, have removed the bottom half (1.2m) of the plasterboard ready to replace with hardiebacker.

To my surprise it seems that the partition wall is made entirely of plasterboard, 3 sheets in total sandwiched together with snot. There is a thin stud along the base and an upright at each end but that is it.

Was this common practice? The house is 30 years old.

Will I be safe enough using plasterboard adheisive to fix the hardiebacker? Can't really think of another option!

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes, it's a laminated partition, you'd be best off demolishing it and rebuilding in timber CLS 63x38mm then fix your hardibacker to that.

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

It's called Paramount board, Still in use 20 years ago when my sister's place was built.

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

I thought Paramount was double sided plasterboard with egg shell cardboard construction in the middle OP is talking about 3 boards together or he may have described things wrong?

5. Johnathon444

Johnathon444 New Member

Yeah it is literally 3 pieces of plasterboards stuck together!