rust removal and lubricant 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by ejenner, Jul 15, 2021.

1. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

Want to spray something onto the threads on my scaffold joints as they're starting to rust and I'm not planning to take the scaffolding down for a while longer.

I've bought some thread covers to stick over the threads.

Before I fit them I'm going to spray them with something which I hope will attack the existing rust and act as a lubricant and protector at the same time.

Anyone know of a good product which will do that?

2. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

I think I've found what I'm looking for actually... but open to any further suggestions.

MANNOL 9932 Rust Dissolver

Properties:
    - Thanks to the presence of fast-penetrating solvents in its composition, it instantly frees threaded connections from rust, oxides and dirt, which greatly facilitates their dismantling;
    - Has good anti-corrosion properties, prevents formation of rust and oxides in the future. Forms a strong waterproof and heat-resistant protective coating;

3. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

potentially not so good at actual rust removal... so room for improvement maybe?

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Thats as good as anything to use.

5. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

yeah, maybe the 'solvent' bit is significant? They're not too far gone by this stage so would probably still undo pretty easily as they are.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Soak them in vinegar to remove rust, let dry and spray with of aerosol silicone grease.

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Just get some plain old grease from a car suppliers and wipe it onto the threads, cheap and quick.

8. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

The idea was to eat off some of the existing rust at the same time. Wiping with grease would protect it but I wanted dual action.

The Mannol 9932 looks good. You get rusty coloured drips coming off the joints when you spray it on. Once it has dried there seems to be a greasy residue left behind. I think at this early stage I'm pretty impressed.

Only downside is I think the thread covers I bought are being cracked by the chemical. So I'll probably not put any more of those on and just rely on the chemical to do all the work.

Dsc_0690.jpg

9. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

I would give them a very quick touch with a wire brush to remove any big rust flakes then a smear of Copperslip, if you want to be doubly sure work the nut up the thread and back down just to work it in. Used Copperslip in industry myself for 40 years in some horrible conditions for fasteners and gone back to them say 10 years later and they can still be undone. Fab stuff.

malkie129 likes this.
  10. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Plus one: great stuff that has stood the test of time.