2 gang light switch, only 1 working

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DrDre, Jul 24, 2021.

1. DrDre

DrDre New Member

I had a cracked 2 gang light switch so it seemed a simple like for like swap. The left switch controls the landing light which is working fine. The right switch controls the bathroom light and now doesn't work. I took plenty of photos, and I even tried the old cracked one, but still the same issue.

Any ideas before I call in a pro?

Attached Files:

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Why have you got those live conductors that are twisted together floating about loose in the back box?

You are putting yourself and others in danger.

3. DrDre

DrDre New Member

The previous owner's son-in-law was an electrician so I thought everything was up to code. And we have had work done to the main board and everything was fine. Should I get all the lighting checked?

4. The Happy Builder

I would assume that those red wires that are twisted together that are floating loose should actually be in one of the switch terminals, although I cannot see any sign of them having been secured with a screw.

Where’s your before photo?

5. The Happy Builder

You may only have to move the red to the top terminal in the right hand switch to get it to work, but the immediate issue is the wires twisted together floating around in the back box, if you touch them you will receive an electric shock, if they touch the metal back box the will be a big flash and a bang which hopefully will blow the fuse or take a trip out.

So where were they when you started? Do they need to be made safe with a connector or terminated into the light switch?

6. DrDre

DrDre New Member

This is how they were originally, but the plate was upside down, so I've turned it around but everything else should be the same.

Attached Files:

7. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Move the red that is next to the black into common on same switch and put those reds in a terminal block.. with power turned off..

DrDre likes this.
  8. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

IF your last picture is before you did any alterations, me thinks that the 3 twisted together wires should be in the lower connector (marked Com/Common) of the switch nearest to you. It has the red and black wires at the top perhaps marked L1 and L2 or even L2 and L3.
    Take CARE

DrDre likes this.
  9. DrDre

DrDre New Member

And we have a winner!! Thanks spirits, that's perfect

spirits are real 2016 likes this.
  10. DrDre

DrDre New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. The twisted wires are safely in a terminal block and everything is working fine.

11. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

On some older light switches the common and L1 was next to each other and newer switches are different..thats what causes the confusion..

DrDre likes this.
  12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Is that a broken earth wire in the top of the second photo? and the grommet isn't actually doing anything, it should protect the cables where they enter the box.

The Happy Builder likes this.
  13. The Happy Builder

Yes to both comments.

Basically the state of the wiring is bad, really bad.

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

And not at all to what the OP charmingly calls the “code” (whatever that might be).