Cannot find Isolator Valve for outside Garden Tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bobofbristol, Jul 24, 2021.

1. bobofbristol

bobofbristol New Member

I want to do some alterations to my outside garden tap but cannot locate the isolating valve. The tap is mounted on a wall about 6ft from the house and 2ft above ground level. The supply runs vertically downwards from the tap and is routed underground to the house under a concrete path. The supply pipe is 22mm OD and looks like a heavy duty black rubbery plastic. I’ve hunted behind the kitchen sink unit around the house main stop tap but cannot find it. It’s been like this for over 40 years since before we moved in but the situation is worrying.

Any ideas would be welcome.

2. Have you tried turning off on the mains stoptap and seeing if that stops it?

bobofbristol likes this.
  3. bobofbristol

bobofbristol New Member

I've just tried that and it does not stop it. Even more worrying !

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Main stopcock outside house / pavement

If you’ve tried house stop tap with no effect, maybe the garden supply has been tee’d off before here

Find outside stop tap and try that (may need a specific key to turn on/off) depending on water supplier and equipment used

bobofbristol likes this.
  5. bobofbristol

bobofbristol New Member

There is a stopcock for the house in the road outside but if this is the only means of isolating the garden tap am I breaking water regulations. Also If I have a problem in the underground supply pipe to my garden tap it will become a major issue. Maybe I should stop using the tap, cap off the supply and have another tap installed to the house correctly.

6. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Do you have a water meter? Is the tap before or after.........................

bobofbristol likes this.
  7. bobofbristol

bobofbristol New Member

No water meter but the garden tap must be T'd off the supply between the road and the house stopcock because it causes a pressure drop in the house when the garden tap is on.