Load Bearing Wall? (Strammit Board)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by LukeSki11, Jul 28, 2021.

1. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Hi All,

so i’m looking to take down what I thought was a simple stud partition.

i’ve started cutting into the ceiling to take a look (see photos) and i’m not sure if its load bearing? The wall is horrid I think strammit board? The joists alpears to be perpendicular to the joists however i cant see any timbers partitions etc from the wall
    Itself??

any help on this would be appreciated :)

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

blobbed?

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Ignore the troll.

hard to say to be honest. If it is strammit board it has no load bearing capacity.

We really need a clearer picture of what is on top of the wall. More pictures further back or a diagram would be helpful

4. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

So pictures to follow, but first is the wall in question which separates the dining room and kitchen.

That wall is entirely from what I can see this straw type strammit board (from what i’ve researched)

Photo 2 is through the hole I have cut in the ceiling, directly above that wall line appears to be nothing other than the joists and braces which are running perpendicular to the wall line.

Technically i guess the joists are ‘sitting’ on this wall but I’d presume the wall has been built up to the floor joists?

I’ve attached a VERY rough diagram..

yellow line stud wall
    Blue line the wall that sits above (not directly)
    Green lines are outside walls

Wall to stud is 2.4m then in Kitchen 2.2m to other wall

cheers!

5. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Photos

Attached Files:

6. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Video?

https://streamable.com/dn8zvc

** excuse the absolute hashing at it but it was more seeing if the strawboard went further or not, but then stopped hence the questions

7. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Anyone? :)

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

What is the size of the joist and what will be the span, with it removed. Is there any particular loads above it?

9. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

45 x 220? Ish … i’m presuming they are running from outside wall to outside wall which is about 4.6m. Directly above this stud wall is nothing, there is another stud wall but its not on the same line on the floor above

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

11. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

12. OnlyGus

OnlyGus New Member

From the look of the table and what you've said quite possibly. I know the higher dead load isn't always necessary for a standard domestic room (not bathroom), however the partition on it may complicate matters by increasing the dead load. Putting a binder on top of the joists mid span would bring you up to modern regs without having to change the rest of the ceiling joists, but I get the feeling there's a room above it so it may not work. If your dead load is below 0.5KN/m^2 you should be ok.

The real question is when it comes to load bearing or structural work do you want to trust an anonymous 3rd person view from a forum? to me paying the price of a site visit from a SE would be worth the peace of mind. If it is a structural wall you'll also need building control sign off to remove it.