Diesel EGR fault

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Muzungu, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I have a Diesel 1.6 yeti, the VW engine, which has started with the dreaded EGR fault code and going into limp mode. Checked the code myself (confirmed by garage) and it is "egr circuit malfunction". Tried all the DIY options, sprays etc. but these are just sticking plasters.

Low mileage car car 55k on a 62 plate with the software "cheat" update. A garage has suggested what they call a "power clean" to see what happens at £40, they have a Forte machine. During lockdown it hasn't done many long trips, if any, which can't have helped. Anyone tried a carbon clean?

Don't have any issues with getting the egr changed but it is labour intensive as it is at the rear bottom of the engine and all sorts of bits and pieces need to be removed to get at it, really need a lift. If it was sitting on top of the engine I would take it off myself and have a go at cleaning it. With labour close to £400 for a garage to put in a new one, which is fair enough.

Irritating the location of this thing as I wouldn't think twice about taking it off myself and having a shot at cleaning it if it was in an accessible location; not really the money but the principle of the thing that gets me. These days everyone just seems to unbolt stuff and chuck it.

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Have you tried belting it alaong the motorway for half an hour in 4th/5th rather than top to get the engine/exhaust really really hot?

Johnik likes this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Yes, no joy. Took it out today, the light was off, got it up to temperature, oil and water, and then the light came on and it went into limp mode. Couldn't get above 60 mph. Put a bottle of Wynns extreme in the tank beforehand.

4. Johnik

Johnik Member

you can take the filter off and use a pressure washer to blast the crud out, that or as someone else said, blast it up the motorway, does it not have a regen function ?

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

A pressure washer in the inlet manifold!! Already taken it up the motorway and no go I am afraid.

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

It is abs EGR fault not DPF. In any event they are in the most stupid position and takes hours to remove.

I had a look around the Skoda forums and there doesn’t seem to be an easy answer. EGR valves do clog and this one is he’s to get to.

I wonder if it’s worth looking for and EGR emulator

Muzungu likes this.
  7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I am going to try the carbon clean at my garage, worth a punt to see what will happen. Definitely an EGR code on mine and the garage's OBD readers, mines just a cheapo. Don't hold out much hope, if not new egr. As you say, very difficult position which means around 4 or 5 hours to swap if everything goes well. I too have haunted the forums!!

Really irritating because if I could get to it easily I would just have a go at cleaning it out myself.

8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I had a Toyota with 2.3 diesel. They only way to fix the issue was to get the EGR valve out, easy on this model with just 4 nuts and an electrical connector, brush out as much carbon dust as possible, then carb cleaner and rags. Extremely messy ! It initially worked for 18 months, than became annual when I got rid of it..

9. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just wish I could do the same. VW couldn't have put it in a more inaccessible place and this appears to be a common issue across the whole VW range that use the engine and its derivatives and with other companies who use their engine. One supposes that they must have had a technical reason to put a part which will need servicing\replacement at some point in such a place other than creating work for their franchisees. After searching around online there appears to be a thriving business in blanking plates to take the EGR out of the equation and to map it out of the management system; I am not going that route. I have had it six years and spent nothing on it other than the MOT so must remain philosophical.

Will see how the "carbon clean" goes, don't hold out much hope, and then go for replacement if it makes no difference.

10. Johnik

Johnik Member

you can take the filter off and use a pressure washer to blast the crud out, that or as someone else said, blast it up the motorway, does it not have a regen function ?
    A pressure washer in the inlet manifold!! Already taken it up the motorway and no go I am afraid.
    sorry i read that as DPF...must be the mushrooms o_O

Muzungu likes this.
  11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just to update this.

Got a Forte carbon clean, took about 45 minutes and £45 or thereabouts. They hooked up a machine that they have invested in; not a hole in the wall outfit, haven't used them before but seem to know what they are on about. They say many of the local taxi companies use them for this.

Anyway, it's cleared the engine fault lights, EGR fault codes and going into limp mode, and now seems to be running fine. Appreciate it is early days but worth a shot as changing the EGR is a bit of a job on these 1.6 engines, same engine as on many Skoda, VW\Audi cars. Quoted £450-500, more at a main dealer, most of that is labour. Will go that route if it comes back however.

May well be a result of the many short trips made over the lock down excitement without a good long run to clear things out. We''ll see how it goes but it was worth a shot, I think, whatever.

12. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Good news. Let’s hope it is permanent fix.

Muzungu likes this.
  13. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

At £45 even if you have to go back after 12/18/24 months, it will be worth it . Nothing worse than a limp home mode, with people behind thinking you are being deliberately slow ! Worse, hope there are no hills on the way back !

Muzungu likes this.
  14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just thought I would update this.

Well it was worth a try but no go I am afraid. Cleared the fault for about a month but back again. Getting an EGR replacement today, OUCH!!

15. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

That’s not good news. Maybe time to move away from VW group???

16. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

The mechanic I use says he's been replacing loads of these across the whole range since the EGR "fix" emissions scandal. Like the car as it is so useful for carting stuff around, like a small van with the back seats clipped out. With hindsight, which is always a wonderful thing, should have got a petrol one. Only £35 tax on this one (from memory) and very good mileage which softens the blow.

Somewhat ironic as the "Greenline" 1.6 diesel (the one I have) was sold as being environmentally friendly at the time. It's a 62 plate and I've had it about 5 years with no issues up till now, first time I've spent anything on it. Only got 52k on it so I think I'll keep it anyway.

I think I might be trying to persuade myself here!

17. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Every now and then the vag group drop a major ******* and release an engine which isnt quite what it should be....

1.6 diesel lump was one of them

18. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

£411, which was actually pretty good in comparison to what others have paid but still stung a bit. Never mind, I would have paid more than that in road tax over the years if I had gone for a petrol one; making excuses again I think!

If they had put the EGR on top of the engine I would have taken it out myself and had a go at cleaning it out but it is in the most inaccessible place imaginable at the back underneath the engine. All sorts of stuff has to come out to get at it, only really possible with a lift although I am sure some have managed it without.

19. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I used to have a Renault scenic 1.9D which I only ever used on the motorways, and usually for trips of a good few hundred kilometres at a time ... so certainly not the local school run that reportedly clogs up the EGRs. After a 5 years, I got the dreaded orange light and the massive drop in performance associated with the EGR. I tried everything, EGR cleaners, carb cleaners, diesel additives, etc., but it always came back after a couple of weeks. I eventually found a second hand EGR on eBay for a tenner, installed it, and drove for the next 8 years without any issues. Mind you, I did start adding the diesel additives to every tank of diesel, which did seem to improve performance, fuel consumption, and probably helped keep the soot out of the EGR.

Muzungu likes this.
  20. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Yeah, for some reason the 1.6 petrol or diesel vag units have always been a bit quirky to work with!

Muzungu likes this.