Loop Ceiling Light Help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Danspencer96, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Danspencer96

Danspencer96 New Member

Hi, I'm replacing my old ceiling light with a new one, presumably a more modern design. The new light fitting has no where to connect the 3 red loop cables.

There are no further lights in the circuit so I believe I don't need these loop wires anyway.

What can I do with the loop wires? Can I wrap electrical tape on them and leave them?

Please see attached photos of old and new fittings.

Thanks!

PXL_20210807_203645694~2.jpg PXL_20210807_203658700~2.jpg PXL_20210807_184130616~2.jpg

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Put the 3 red ones into an insulated connector block, or a wago ,and it can sit within the light fittings base ,alongside the other terminal block.

Danspencer96 likes this.
  3. Xshaunyx

Xshaunyx Member

That doesn't appear to be the last light in the circuit if it was there wouldn't be 2 neutrals or 3 lives in the loop you can't just put tape on the connections the loop also takes the feed to your switch a sufficiently rated connector block or preferably a 3 port wago would be best

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Danspencer96 likes this.
  4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Danspencer96 likes this.
  5. Danspencer96

Danspencer96 New Member

Attached Files:

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

They would be fine too, rather large but should fit.

7. Danspencer96

Danspencer96 New Member

Thanks.

So just to clarify, i'd just put all 3 red loop wires in there and leave it in the light fitting?

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

All three reds in one connector. Two blacks and blue from the light in another connector. You'd need to join brown (light) to black (red sleeved) and earth - earth.

If you are keeping the white connector, then two terminals can be used to join brown and earth as above.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  9. Danspencer96

Danspencer96 New Member

Thanks for your help!!

10. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Use suitable term block or wago type connector. 13BE86CF-E685-46CE-B08B-C81681B7A464.gif

Danspencer96 likes this.
  11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You seem to have lost one of the screws from the new fitting already!

12. Danspencer96

Danspencer96 New Member

Hi all,

Does anybody know what I do with the fact there's 2 earth cables from the light fitting. One grouped with the live and neutral wires and another connected further down.

See photo PXL_20210809_175505683.jpg PXL_20210809_175505683.jpg

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

All earth conductors connect to each other in a suitable insulated terminal block or wago,not that bare brass thing.

Danspencer96 likes this.
  14. Xshaunyx

Xshaunyx Member

All the earth conductors need connecting together in a suitable connector also the black flex doesn't go through the mounting bracket either

Danspencer96 likes this.
  15. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

The mounting bracket (that you've still got in the pendant) should have been attached to the ceiling first? That's what you secure the light pendant to!

Im no electrician but recently changed all of my lights with help from an electrician ...... think you'd have been better off with 3 of the wago connectors.
    Then you could have wired them up as they were already (from the ceiling) and just added the ones from the light to the respective connector and not used the white one that came with the light

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Danspencer96 likes this.
  16. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

This video simplifies things (I hope)..

Danspencer96 likes this.
  17. Danspencer96

Danspencer96 New Member

Thanks guys! PXL_20210809_192053704.jpg

Hell68 and Bazza like this.